well, blogging during kid’s clothes week was almost a total bust, because i got sucked into a sewing vortex all week! two out of three Halloween costumes are done and O’s is more “finished” than i planned because he tends to wear his costumes as everyday wear a lot more than E does, so i can’t cut corners. that’s up next. but i’m going in age order so this little gal is up first.
E wanted to be Elsa from Frozen. because of course she did.
i thought i had her talked into Princess Leia, which would have been AWESOME since O is going as Luke Skywalker, but deep in her heart we all knew she wanted to be Elsa…and though she told me she could wear the “Elsa dress” (not really an Elsa dress) that she already had, i just couldn’t do that to her. i had to make her a real Elsa dress.
honestly, this dress is probably one of my biggest recent sewing fails. it looks good in photos but i did a terrible job of researching what i was sewing with while and after choosing the fabrics, and it caused all sorts of problems. soooooo we went to Mill End together and this greeted us when we walked in the door:
those people know exactly what they’re doing.
she chose a gorgeous turquoise lamé which seemed stretchy enough and was really soft on the inside, and we picked an iridescent polyester organza (didn’t know what it was at the time) which looked like it would be a lovely overskirt. i already had some white glitter matte jersey for the cape part, and we got some iridescent white mesh for the sleeves and bodice. all seemed fine, i hacked a flashback skinny tee and created a skirt pattern and it all came together really quickly one evening! on the hanger, it looked amazing.
and then after i had her try it on ONCE for fit, this started happening:
i had serged the organza and lamé outer and underskirts to the bodice all in one move (seemed brilliant), but the side seams just started fraying right out of the seam! and parts of the lamé itself were running like a pair of snagged nylons!! yikes. i took the skirt off, consulted instagram, and tried to think of a way to reattach both layers, but i decided the headache wasn’t worth the extra shimmer. E was okay with just the metallic turquoise as the full bodice and skirt, so i added interfacing to both the skirt and bodice and reattached it. then i used up the rest of my fray check on the skirt.
AFTER i had reattached it i did the research, figured out what the fabric was, and learned how i should have sewn the organza (or should have avoided it altogether), but in my rush i didn’t check ahead of time. bad move.
she is soooo thrilled with this dress, even without the outer skirt. although i was grumbling about having to sew an Elsa dress and i’m disappointed in myself for not handling the fabric better, in the end i think Halloween is about making kids’ wildest fantasies come to life and as far as she’s concerned, i did it.
she had all sorts of regal poses up her sleeve.
her crown and ring were gifts from Jess and Sadie when they visited for E’s Frozen-themed birthday in May (Sadie wore her Elsa dress to the party and i should’ve remembered how badly her cape frayed despite its serged edge before i picked THE EXACT SAME FABRIC – argh!).
the cape sparkles and drapes well and doesn’t fray, and she wants to put this dress on every chance she gets. i just want to make it to Halloween without the dress part getting a million runs in it. after that, i’m fine with whatever!
i’m still glad i made it though. costumes are some of my favorite things to make for the kids because their reactions are always so fun. now the issue will be not losing track of her in the sea of Elsas that are sure to be trick-or-treating this year.
but she’ll be the only one wearing a dress just like this.