abstract scoop neck washi dress

6 Jun

this dress has been in my head for nearly a year, and it took quilt market to finally make me sew it up!

abstract scoop neck washi

it’s my third washi dress (four if you count mini washi!).  i feel like sewing the same pattern three (four) times officially puts me in cult follower status, and that’s cool with me.  the washi is flattering, doesn’t take long to sew, is super comfortable, and i actually wear mine on a regular basis all year round.  the washi dress and the wiksten tank both teamed up to shift my mental state from “i’m scared to sew for myself” to “i LOVE to sew for myself,” so i recommend both if you’re looking to dip your toe in.

abstract scoop neck washi

i scooped out the neck a bit (about 1″ on the bottom, tapering back to the normal shoulder width – make a muslin first if you try it) just like i did with washi two.  the shirring is much tighter this time because i got a new sewing machine in January (cough Bernina cough) and it makes me want to shirr all the things, it’s so easy.  i still sewed a medium, but it fits me better since it’s more cinched.  i’m smaller on top than on bottom, so i like the top to fit nice and snugly to highlight that, while masking the larger parts of me.  you know how it goes.

abstract scoop neck washi

i got the fabric from Britex Fabrics last August while on vacation with my husband in San Francisco.  i found it in the remnant area and it didn’t have any markings on the selvedge, but i loved it and bought it with the intention of making a washi dress.  it’s sooooo nice – it feels like art gallery fabric, sateen-y and light but still crisp and not see-through like voile can be.  it’s really lovely stuff, and i adore the print too – sort of messy-pretty.  and the colors are so saturated and rich.

abstract scoop neck washi

i didn’t have a relationship with Britex when i bought the fabric, but I’m glad I do now, because i was comfortable sending them a photo to find out what it is!  it’s called Abstract Dyed Cotton – 100% cotton and 57″ wide, and they still have 20 yards left in the store!  so if you’re interested in ordering some, you can email service@britexfabrics.com and they’ll hook you up.  tell them i sent ya.  ;)

abstract scoop neck washi

so i made this dress to wear to quilt market, which was funny since the fabric was a mystery to me at the time and i was wearing it around a bunch of people that live and breathe fabric.  i think quiltmarketgoers walk around silently identifying fabric and pattern on each other’s handmades, so it was kind of ornery of me to wear something mysterious, though the washi dress pattern itself is VERY well known.

washi pattern designer Rae even saw this dress in person when she came over to my house for a bit!  i’m not sure if she saw it on me without a cardigan over it, though…so here ya go, Rae!  the full washi!

abstract scoop neck washi

thanks once again to my husband for taking these photos!  he’s getting pretty good, eh?  ;)

full disclosure: i was a pattern tester for the washi dress (which means i got it for free) and Made by Rae and Britex Fabrics are now both sponsors of my blog (though this fabric was not free).  i’m just glad i have sponsors that make such great stuff!

49 Responses to “abstract scoop neck washi dress”

1. dandeliondrift June 6, 2013 at 4:23 am #

What a beautiful dress! I have admired everyone’s washi (they always turn out so pretty). I think I need to finally invest in Rae’s pattern.

• kristin June 6, 2013 at 7:43 am #

it sure is a great dress for spring/summertime…!!! ;)

2. jennifer June 6, 2013 at 4:37 am #

It is adorable and fits so well! Perfect dress. So flattering.

3. Trine June 6, 2013 at 4:38 am #

Oh wow – Kristin – I love this. The colors, the fit – everything. You look beautiful.

Hugs,
    Trine

4. Adirondack Inspired--Monica June 6, 2013 at 5:43 am #

Oooh, I like this….a LOT! I know I will eventually buy this pattern, it is just so incredibly flattering. Is the Bernina, like the mac-daddy of sewing machines? I’m not in the market for a new one any time soon, but I feel like my little Singer wasn’t made for quite so much sewing. It feels a little….rattly. Anyway, back to your dress! I really love this fabric. Love, love. And I forgot the Washi has POCKETS! Cute photos, I just had my husband do a photo shoot for me, too. He was much better to look at than the tripod. ;)

• kristin June 6, 2013 at 7:47 am #

It works on so many body types, I love it. And if you’re used to sewing kids clothes, it’s written like any of Rae’s other patterns, so you’re not deciphering a whole new instruction method or anything by jumping to an “adult” pattern company.

yeah the bernina is amazing – it’s a solid machine that can handle pretty much anything i throw at it and results in a nicer-looking finish than my prior machine. it just feels PRO. try one out in a local shop if you can!

5. snips June 6, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Just gorgeous! The fabric is perfect for the Washi, and quite flattering on you as well!
    I’ve been wanting to try this pattern for myself, maybe it’s time i did!

6. Jane June 6, 2013 at 6:00 am #

Such a beautiful dress!! (and model!) And, yes indeedy, your hubby is getting pretty great at the pictures…husbands are good that way right ;) my self portraits are always terrible…but then, i usually ask my husband to take pictures of me at the absolute wrong time so they get so rushed! And, now, I’ve really gotta stop saying i’m going to make myself another washi and just do it already! ;)

• kristin June 6, 2013 at 7:48 am #

thanks! haha but i was thinking i need a remote for more flexibility…you’re right, it’s hard to find that right time.

7. Andrea June 6, 2013 at 6:17 am #

That dress fits you like it was made for you…oh wait, it was! Hahaha! Beautiful dress. Perfect fit. Beautiful you.

• kristin June 6, 2013 at 7:49 am #

ha! it was! thanks sis – did you notice my shoes…?!?! turns out they’re perfect for 5 minute photoshoots. ;)

8. Kelly June 6, 2013 at 7:31 am #

You look so pretty! That fabric is great, very cool and the color looks really good on you. The tighter shirring is key for the Washi I think- I made one that ended up loose for some reason and it’s not nearly as flattering. Congrats on your Bernina!!!

• kristin June 6, 2013 at 7:49 am #

thank you! i agree about the shirring, it feels great on, too.

9. anna June 6, 2013 at 7:44 am #

adorable you are!!! seriously yummy fabric choice, and lucky indeed with those sponsors! :) I might just have to bust out another washi after this reminder. :)

10. Jill June 6, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Va va vavoom! I hope your hubby wined and dined you after the photo shoot. You look spectacular!

11. nestedinstitchesobin June 6, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Fantastic! This dress looks so good on you, Kristin. And yeah, that fabric is so awesome, it’s a perfect match for this dress. Rock it, lady!

12. kaloskraft June 6, 2013 at 8:00 am #

Lovely dress. And the fabric is great! The colors are so rich. I will have to try making a Washi Dress soon!

13. Sumé June 6, 2013 at 8:31 am #

LOVE everything about this! Wow! Also proud and very happy owner of a Bernina…. ;)

14. kat June 6, 2013 at 9:13 am #

it’s really quite lovely, kristin!

15. sallybeemakes June 6, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Beautiful dress, I really need to add it to my to do list. The fabric is gorgeous

16. Meghan June 6, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Love this!! It looks great on you! I really need to finish up the Washi I have just sitting on my dress form and then make some more ;) It really is such a great dress. I love the scoop neck and fabric you used, too!

17. Sanae June 6, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Perfect fit, Kristin! I love this dress on you and the fabric is luscious. I especially love how you paired it with nude heels – great styling and you look smashing :-) I need to take the plunge and sew up the Washi for myself…

18. Emily June 6, 2013 at 11:40 am #

Love the scooped neck! The dress looks gorgeous on you!

19. rachel June 6, 2013 at 11:49 am #

kristin, this is so, so awesome! you look completely stunning. i just love everything about this. great fabric choice and it looks so awesome on you! your photos are also amazing! if you ever need to take photos without your husband, you could try using the self timer on your camera. that’s worked well for me! though your husband’s photos rock!
    i’m so happy you got your Bernina. mine was a total surprise (shock!) for Christmas. i would have never bought such an expensive machine for myself, but now that i have my Bernina I am so incredibly thankful. really, i think of how grateful i am nearly every time i sit down to sew. i think you and i used to sew on the same machine (a Brother) and while that machine was a million time better than my previous machine – a Kenmore – it doesn’t hold a candle to my Bernina. to use a car analogy, it’s like going from a kia rio to a ferrari. my mother in law told me that about berninas but it’s true. it’s amazing.

20. Britex Fabrics June 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Wow! The dress turned out great. The simple lines and full skirt really play up the abstract print and rich colors of the fabric.

21. Cirque Du Bebe June 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

This is so gorgeous Kristin! The fabric and the colors on you, and the new neckline. Fits you beautifully, and I’m loving it with those shoes.

22. Shannon June 6, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Very pretty! Love the colours.

23. Heather June 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Looks beautiful on you!

24. Inder June 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Ooh, so pretty! I love that fabric!! And the Washi is so lovely and flattering on you. Isn’t Britex amazing? I need to go back!

25. gail June 6, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

that fabric is crazy-cool! such a flattering dress. i can’t wait to make myself a washi….the time has come! i just know it’s going to take me forever to pick out fabric, but that’s the story of my life :)

26. Jill June 7, 2013 at 12:20 am #

ack! This is my favorite washi of all the washis I’ve ever seen. The fabric is outstanding, and you look amazing!

27. Adrianna June 7, 2013 at 1:17 am #

Just fabulous. You did a good thing with that neckline there. I’m also loving those nude heels – can you walk in them or are they just for show like all my heels? :)

28. Thimble & Cork June 7, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Gorgeous! The fabric is beautiful too. This looks lovely on you.

29. Chelise Patterson June 7, 2013 at 6:52 am #

I love it Kristen! I have so many plans to sew for myself but they keep getting pushed aside for projects for Drew that are much less intimidating. I have made myself three swimsuits this summer and my next goal is a top or a dress for me. I just might have to make a washi dress :)

30. melissa q. June 7, 2013 at 7:19 am #

Stunning! I love this fabric and you look lovely in your washi adaptation. argh. I want that washi pattern but I’m trying to stick to a ‘lean financial plan’, which is turning out to be really hard. Not to mention that between you and Nicole I am dying to spend some money at Britex. Stop weakening me!…

31. carolyn June 7, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Sigh. That fabric is just gorgeous and so perfect for that dress! I feel like so much of sewing great adult clothes is finding the perfect fabric for the pattern. (I only know this from having many, many failures under my belt :)

32. girllikethesea June 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

The fit of this is great on you! I’m pretty sure the washi looks cuter on you than anyone else I’ve seen wear it. Serious. Wearing a mystery fabric to a fabric show is also an awesome move in my book. haha. (jealous of your bernina!!)

33. Cherie June 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

You’ve done it again!! Loooove this dress – seriously perfection! Great pics of you too. Yay for Washi!

34. Gjeometry June 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Wow, very pretty! The fabric is just gorgeous.

35. robutton June 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

I love how this looks on you! I think I’m going to have to get this pattern and try one out for myself!

36. lecsmiscellany June 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

Gorgeous! And it looks gorgeous on you! :-)

37. Delia June 8, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Oooh I love it! Great fabric. Stunning really. You are gorgeous and I like the nude shoes! :)

38. Caroline June 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

So pretty- you and the dress!! I really need to print of my washi pattern and just do it already! Thanks for the reminder.

39. Caila June 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

Oh wow, I love this!! That print is so excellent, and you always get that scoop neck just right. You look beautiful!

40. drygoodsdesign June 10, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

I have been thinking of that fabric since you showed me at dinner! Love this – and shows how that pattern can be sweet and light to dark and sophisticated! You nailed it:).

41. Rae June 13, 2013 at 11:34 am #

This looks AMAZING!!! And yes, the Bernina is so ace when it comes to shirring, LOVE it!!

42. shannon June 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

okay so first: love love love the washi on you!!! i’m lusting after all the washi (washis?)…and have come very close to pulling the trigger a number of times. but i’m pretty top heavy (ha!) and if i wear a dress like that everyone just basically assumes i’m pregnant. (not that i can blame them…i kinda have a history…) second: LEGS!!! whoa momma! ;) and finally, as much as i’m hating the loss of google reader…switching over to bloglovin’ is making it much more likely that i’ll comment. which is a good thing :)