cropped hudson pant

3 Jul

aaaand i’m back with more self sewing!  pattern testing this time, for my friend Kelli of True Bias.  I’m a big fan of Kelli’s – i was fortunate to have her as a guest for vintage may this year, and my intro for her links to my many favorite past Kelli projects.  she has a comfortable yet fashionable style that i enjoy very much, so when she asked if i’d test her hudson pant pattern, i was totally in.

cropped hudson pants

the hudson pant is a stylish lounge pant, which you can make ankle or calf length.  it being summer, i made the calf-length, though for some reason i made them in a somewhat heavy sweatshirt knit (?).  haha they’re multi seasonal, right?

cropped hudson pants

the waistband, cuffs, and pocket trim are all a gray baby rib knit.  thought it’d be nice to make these in neutral colors but with a gold tie for a bit of pop.

the pattern was impressive even in tester phase (meaning it’s pretty much outstanding now), and for my first pair of pants ever, it was so easy to sew!  i told Kelli it could almost be called a beginner pattern, except for some topstitching on top of elastic that takes just a bit of sewing practice.  the pattern includes notches to help line up the pieces and is clear and easy to follow.

cropped hudson pants

i think hudson pants would be an excellent, low pressure project if you’re just starting to sew for yourself – they’re easy and fast, the fit doesn’t have to be super precise because they’re just lounge pants, and they get you used to the freakishly massive pattern pieces of adult wear (which always throws me after sewing so often for my kids).  they aren’t a tailored dress with an invisible zipper and darts, they’re for lazy saturday mornings!

cropped hudson pants

as far as tester-to-final pattern changes, Kelli shortened the pocket trim strip a bit so it sits a bit flatter against the hip, and loosened the cuff area a bit in the final version.  other than those, her changes were all within the instructions for proofreading/clarity.  pretty minor stuff.  nice that she has taken a patternmaking class and had them so close to perfect already!

cropped hudson pants

i love wearing my hudson pants and reach for them whenever they’re clean and it’s loungin’ time.  again with the comfy basics – apparently they’re my selfish sewing bread and butter these days.  i already bought some lighter, drapier french terry to make myself another pair, it’s just that my “to sew” list keeps growing but my time to sew doesn’t.  so annoying.  :/

cropped hudson pants

thanks so much to Kelli for making such an awesome pattern, and thanks to my friend Erin for taking these photos in her gorgeous yard!

go ahead, get your copy of the hudson pant pattern, and check out the sewalong Kelli is running this week – if you sew a pair by july 22, she’s running a fun competition with prizes too!

* * *

P.S. i received no compensation to test the Hudson Pant pattern, and i was under no obligation to blog them either.  i just like Kelli and wanted to support her…and get my hands on this pattern a bit earlier than most!  ha.

37 Responses to “cropped hudson pant”

1. Annika July 3, 2014 at 5:36 am #

I follow Kelli’s blog since she was your guest at vintage may. loved these pants right away, but at the moment I don’t have the time to sew so I haven’t bougth them yet. Really like your pair and it seems as if your garden is amazing. love it!

2. Trine July 3, 2014 at 5:45 am #

Okay – that’s it! I need this pattern. They look so great on you! You have this ‘never wearing pants’ girl convinced!!!

• kristin July 5, 2014 at 11:50 am #

Oh I’d love to see your version, Trine!

3. julieourcheznous July 3, 2014 at 6:45 am #

Ummmm,,,,,i love these!!!

4. rachel July 3, 2014 at 7:06 am #

These pants look great on you. I totally want a pair. I actually think it’s kind of hard to find comfy store-bought lounge wear. For me, full length lounge pants always end up being too short after a few washes. Would you ever consider writing a post on where to find good quality knits for adults? I feel at a loss in terms of where to find them. We don’t have any good fabric stores here so I have to order everything online. I’m currently living in Dan’s boxers and t-shirts for lounge wear. Classy, huh?

• Inder July 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

Rachel, you should totally do it!! I am really into Kaufman’s Laguna jersey is seriously nice, has a good weight, and I would use it for a summery version of these pants. For a warmer version, I like the organic sweatshirt fleeces on Fabric.com. But I think I’m not as picky as you, Rachel. Whatever you do, prewash the fabric, maybe a few times, on blazing hot. Knits do shrink a ton!

• Inder July 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

I skipped a few words in there, but you got the idea! ;-)

• rachel July 4, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

Thanks, Inder. I appreciate that! :)

• kristin July 5, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Yes thanks, Inder! I’m usually not a good fabric recourse person since I get to shop locally, which is what I did here. The gray is from Joann though!

5. yoTrinh July 3, 2014 at 7:08 am #

Yay for sweats! That’s all I ever wear nowadays. These pants are perfect!

6. Andrea July 3, 2014 at 7:18 am #

The most perfect beach pants ever! Time for a road trip! Hop in the minivan!

7. Jill July 3, 2014 at 8:35 am #

Super cute! I love the fabric you chose! I think it seems perfect for a NW, you-never-know kind of summer!

• kristin July 5, 2014 at 11:49 am #

Exactly!! Perfect for cool mornings/evenings. Thanks!

8. Kelly July 3, 2014 at 8:42 am #

Ooooo, now you have me thinking cropped for my next pair- these are really cute!!

9. krystina July 3, 2014 at 10:01 am #

I love these pants, they are so cute!

10. sophiecrespy July 3, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

I already knew I wanted to make one for myself but now I WANT it even more!! love the length of yours! looks great on you!

11. Kristi July 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

Great version of these pants. Kelli has such great style, she even makes loungewear look awesome!

12. Inder July 3, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

I really want to make these too! Just for lounging around! Which I do a lot of. :-) Or maybe, if I get motivated, working out too. I love your version! They look so cute on you!

13. sophiehparslow July 3, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

Oh cool! These look great Kristin. Perfect mix of mum comfort but also something you could leave the house in looking put together.

14. Tara July 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

Look at you all cute and comfy in your backyard Oregonian oasis. I wouldn’t mind hanging back there in some of those pants with a cup of stumptown.

15. replicatethendeviate July 3, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Super adorable lounge pants!

16. lucinda July 4, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

I’ve seen a few versions of these making their way around the blogs, but this is my favorite to date! Love the cropped version – totally something I would wear on lazy Saturday mornings (and who am I fooling – most any morning:). Thanks for sharing what kind of fabric you used too ; I always find that kind of information helpful.

• kristin July 5, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Aw thanks so much, Lucinda! They’re different from anything else I own and I think that’s why I’ve been wearing them so much! Such a great design.

17. missamyjane July 5, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

adorable!! you have such great style…

18. beachmomof4 July 5, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

These are super cute on you! I like the cropped version.:)

19. deliacreates July 5, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

These are SO cute! Love your fabric and draw string choices.

20. Lightning McStitch July 6, 2014 at 6:14 am #

Well who could have thought track pants could look so good?!
    Well done Kristin, and obviously well done Kelli on the pattern too.
    going on the long list (the selfish sewing is getting out of control round here!)

• kristin July 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

I KNOW RIGHT? for some reason it’s just my thing these days; the selfish sewing thing just clicked and i can’t stop. i’ve got a few more up my sleeve then i’m ready to get back to kid stuff. ;)

21. Shino July 6, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

Okay. I’ll get this pattern. now. looove your version!!

22. Anneliese July 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

These are super cute on you! I wonder if I could pull them off…?

23. Jane July 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

oh these are ca-ute! especially the cropped!

24. Brienne Moody July 9, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Kristin, you are killing it with the grownup clothes. Thank you for taking the plunge for us!!! It is scary to make big girl clothes. And I so appreciate the examples.

25. Heather July 12, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

I love these and I especially love how you went with the gold tie for pop! Awesome!