a springtime ayashe

20 Feb

i’m a sucker for a sewalong.  i found out about an upcoming figgy’s ayashe sewalong via meg, and i believe i was out shopping for pattern and fabric within hours.  this was further motivated by the fact that my husband had given me a certificate to bolt as a “sorry you’ve been auf’d from project run & play” present.  he’s a keeper.

i went ahead and purchased both the pattern and this GORGEOUS nani iro double gauze that i’d been eyeing forever.  total splurge.  worth it.  i faced the collar with kona olive, and did the topstitching in pretty silver thread.

my daughter is almost 4, but has funny proportions, which is one of the reasons i sew for her so much.  her chest measurement is larger than her hip measurement, she’s at the bottom of the growth charts in weight but in the middle for height…and her head is in the 90th percentile.  big head (and a smart girl!).  so i made the 2/3 size, which fits her roomily, but i have to sort of wiggle it over her huge noggin.  maybe next time i’d make the front opening deeper, but add some sort of closure so she doesn’t need to wear a camisole underneath.

i added a gathering stitch along the shoulders so i could set them in with room for easing.  i actually ended up gathering them a bit more to add a bit of a puff because, you know, a flower shirt wasn’t girly enough!  i might switch out the elastic for the drawstring for growing room.  it’s good to have options.

the pattern was sweet to sew.  i had to focus a bit on the double layered yoke part, but i’d never made something like that before.  and i love the little details that figgy’s includes to make you smile, like a logo that says “happy sewing!” on the pattern.  so nice.  i like that the owners are portlanders, too – the liberty ayashe that’s on the pattern/website was actually at bolt and i got to hold it!  that was a big selling point for me.  so beautiful.

result: a fun little sewalong and a a lovely springtime top!

Figgys Patterns

35 Responses to “a springtime ayashe”

1. Cirque Du Bebe February 21, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Just beautiful! If I had girls I would love to sew things like this. Its still girly without being frilly and I can understand your Nani Iro splurge!

2. Nicole Keller February 21, 2012 at 1:50 am #

I am so tempted…..

3. prttynpnk February 21, 2012 at 4:26 am #

So sweet! I love children’s wear in mature fabrics, lovely work!

4. Little Hands Dreams February 21, 2012 at 4:52 am #

Hello, Lovely as always!

Where do you get your official measurements from?

Emma

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

My pediatrician tells me where she falls on the CDC’s growth charts, though you can look them up online too. Sometimes I think they’re bunk… ;)

5. Rachel February 21, 2012 at 5:14 am #

gorgeous purple floral fabric !!!
    I have the Sunki pattern & have the fabric/zipper to sew 2 different ones, just have to get around to sewing them ~ a little thing called PR&P sew along got in the way ;)

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Haha totally understandable! I want to try the Sunki someday, too…

6. rachael February 21, 2012 at 5:42 am #

SO lovely!!

7. Lucinda February 21, 2012 at 5:50 am #

This is so, so beautiful! Stunning fabric, and the silver topstitching is such a great detail.

As an aside, I have two comments – your husband is the sweetest thing ever! And secondly, I so desperately wish I had local stores like Bolt in my city. Nothing here more than Joann’s and quilt stores. I even requested the Lotta Jansdotter line via special request, and they said “no” b/c they didn’t think it would have a market here. Oh, to live in Portland!!

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Thanks. Oh yes, he’s a good guy. And I definitely think sewing has made enough of a comeback to justify more independent fabric shops! That’s too bad they wouldn’t even accomodate your request – I bet they’d sell a lot more of it than they think.

8. Sarah February 21, 2012 at 7:21 am #

Sweet lord, this is so cute. SO cute. My daughter has similar proportions… tiny self – huge head! :) Gorgeous photo shoot, too!

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Haha, thanks. They’re tricky ones to sew for! :)

9. bold goods February 21, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Hi! I started following you after PR&P. This is really lovely, and looks like it fits your daughter’s personality perfectly! Great job!

10. gail February 21, 2012 at 8:02 am #

it’s so classy! nani iro and silver thread – lucky girl!! worth the splurge for sure, that fabric looks divine :)

11. M February 21, 2012 at 8:30 am #

it’s lovely! I’ve been eyeing this pattern since it came out and seeing this has just moved it up the list!

12. Trinh February 21, 2012 at 9:31 am #

lovely, hope you splurged for yourself too:)…

13. you and mie February 21, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Gorgeous! I LOVE Nani Iro double gauze – it’s so dreamy!!! This looks awesome – so cool and sophisticated but still cute for a little one.

14. Carolyn February 21, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Swooon….I love this shirt. The fabric is absolutely gorgeous and I love that you used silver thread for the top-stitching. Now I feel a compulsive need to find and buy silver thread :)
    The shirt looks fabulous on her and I love that you make it to fit her body perfectly. You are such a nice mama…and a damn good seamstress!

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Aw thanks, Carolyn!

15. kate February 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I love it!! And I never commented on your signature style look but I love that too! It looks like you had fun with it, that is the best kind of outfit!

16. Shelly February 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Love!! great job lady!

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Thanks for a great pattern, Shelly!

17. kim February 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

What a seriously lovely top! That fabric is absolutely gorgeous and your photos are so nice. Sub a sprig of daphne in her hair and you will be very close to perfection. ;)

• kristin February 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Oh, I wish our daphne was blooming!!!! Not quite yet.

18. ooobop! February 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Oh that is just adorable. Really beautifully put together too. I love the Olive colour peeking out and the fact that it isn’t typically a children’s print.

19. Stef February 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Oh my gorgeousness! I love everything about this. No good fabric stores close to me either. What a sweet gesture from your husband – lucky, lucky you!!

20. Dacia March 7, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

that is so cute! love that fabric too! my little one has HUGE head so I always have to readjust things when I sew keeping that in mind.

21. shapeofaspoon March 18, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

I just found your blog! This shirt is beautiful – the pattern and fabric go perfectly together! And so expertly executed. I also just read your post on your experience being part of PR&P. You mentioned learning how to draft patterns and how much freedom it has given you. Please share with me how you learned! Did you take a class? Read a book? I’d love to have that kind of freedom in sewing clothing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ayashe « probably actually - June 6, 2012

[...] together – and I have to give credit to Kristin for passing along some tips from when she made her lovely Ayashe. There were a couple tricky parts she figured out so that I didn’t have to – nothing major, but [...]

2. gorgeous fabrics and a new cape « skirt as top - December 27, 2012

[...] and my full post is right here. [...]

3. Japanese Sewing Book Series with skirt as top | you and mie - March 25, 2013

[...] She’s clearly got amazing sewing skills and impeccable taste – just check out this springtime ayashe, her washi dress (still my favorite), and her doily foldover clutch.  She is also a truly creative [...]

4. film petit: zoolander | skirt as top - November 21, 2013

[…] is wearing an Ayashe Blouse i originally made for his sister, with a pair of 3T Hosh Pants in a silver snakeskin pleather of some sort.  i painted some silver […]

5. fabric: all about double gauze | Imagine Gnats - January 11, 2014

[…] row three:June Bug Dress by Caila MadeFiona’s Double Gauze Scarf (tutorial) by The Village HaberdasheryReversible Spring Coat (tutorial) by you & mieA Springtime Ayashe by skirt as top […]

6. fabric: all about double gauze - imagine gnats - May 4, 2014

[…] row three: June Bug Dress by Caila Made Fiona’s Double Gauze Scarf (tutorial) by The Village Haberdashery Reversible Spring Coat (tutorial) by you & mie A Springtime Ayashe by skirt as top […]