bow tie for a little guy

my nephew, the youngest of three boys (and just 10 days younger than Em), also turned four recently.  all three boys are very snazzy dressers, and love to wear clip on ties with their regular collared shirts, shorts, and sneakers…it’s pretty cute.  i was deep in the throes of planning for vintage may and had “old timey” on the brain, so i decided to make the little guy a quick and easy REAL bow tie.

IMG_1051

there are a million little kid bow tie tutorials out there on the internets, and i searched for a good while before i found one that fit my rigorous demands – the perfect shape and really tied, but didn’t have all the fancy hardware in the back.  oh and it was a definite perk if i didn’t need to create my own pattern!  i finally came across the fantastic free dapper little man bow tie pattern by just another day in paradise (found on pinterest, repinned from brooke powell).   it was everything i wanted!

IMG_1054

i made it in a lightweight gingham cut on the bias.  i wanted to add a little structure, so i ironed medium weight interfacing to one side before sewing.  i first had elastic in the back, but when i tried it on Em i realized that wouldn’t work – already tied, it was too tight to fit over her head.  it took me forever to learn how to actually tie the darn thing, so i wanted a better easy-on, easy-off solution for my nephew.  i added a little extra length and then velcro instead, which works great.  when i make this again, i’ll add 2″ or 3″ to each end of the pattern at the start so the velcro is better centered in the back, but it’s hidden in his collar as is.  i had really wanted to make a bunch of these to give him at once, but i just ran out of time.

IMG_1055

instead of a box of bow ties, i paired it with a justin bieber-esque hoodie (he’s a big fan of the beebs), and the present was all set!  he opened it and immediately put on his new accessory.

IMG_5872

it went well with his ukulele-playing.  i think the kid might be a hipster.  🙂

IMG_5874

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “bow tie for a little guy

• kristin says:

he is, and you should see he and Em together – they’re pretty much like brother and sister. it’s really fun. he’s such a cute little guy. 🙂

1. Jane says:

so cute!!! yes, we love bow ties too!!! I mean a little boy in a bow tie…fantastic!!! And, i agree, it takes some time to actually get the tying part down…but so worth it!! Love the gingham!

2. jessica says:

Where’s his fixed gear and nalgene bottle? His beard is pretty weak too. He needs work, but the bow tie is at least a step in the right direction. Now get to work sewing him some toe shoes.

• kristin says:

Haha, yeah he gets an A for effort! Vintage-style shirt and ukulele are good steps in the right direction for sure. We’ll keep working on him, maybe teach him how to play some Dent May on that thing and get him drinking fancy coffee on a twice-daily basis.

Toe shoes totally baffle me, though…it’s like the aquasocks of the early 90s. Most people realized they were just for the pool, but some decided to wear them out and about…YOU WERE PROBABLY ONE OF THOSE, WEREN’T YOU, MCTAG?!

• Jessica says:

No I was the poor kid who never owned aqua socks but TOTALLY envied the kids who did. I would have worn them everywhere. Great, now you’ve made me sad.

(although now I realize this had nothing to do with money. My parents just had the good sense to know they were a completely useless and unnecessary wardrobe item.)

Now, off to sew my kid a completely unnecessary bathing accessory…

• Inder says:

Wait, hipsters wear those toe shoes? Not in my area. I mean, people wear them, but they’re definitely not hipsters. Hipsters here avoid anything that looks too fitness-y or healthy – they smoke cigarettes, cultivate a wan complexion, and wear battered vintage Converse with their vintage shirts and bow-ties.

• kristin says:

No, hipsters don’t here either – though there’s a unique brand of Portlander that might wear hipster-esque clothes plus outdoorsy clothes (saw one recently) but I wouldn’t call toe shoes “hipster” either. The guy I’m talking about is the vintage shirt, bow tie, thick rimmed glasses guy that’s likely wearing desert boots or jack purcells or something MUCH more stylish. 🙂

3. Carla says:

It came out so cute! I can’t tell you how many expletives I said when trying to tie the one I made! Tying the darn thing was WAY harder than sewing it. The Velcro was a great idea, I used little eye hooks. I love how it just happened to go perfect with his plaid shirt!

• kristin says:

me too! that’s probably what prevented me from sewing more – i think it took me twice as long to learn to tie the tie as to sew it! 🙂

4. Caila says:

CUTE! I was just looking for the perfect bow-tie pattern, and this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for posting; it’s so cute. 🙂