here it is, my fifth and final planned project for the fall kids clothes week challenge. this tutu is a major component of Em’s halloween costume, angelina ballerina (that’s the best image on the least annoying site i could find). she was not into modeling for me after her nap today…
…so if you think she’s always happily willing to pose for my photos, trust me that is not the case. even for a pink angelina tutu!
the pattern is from “little things to sew.” i’ve now made 5 out of the 20 projects in that book (that’s the highest completion rate of any of my sewing books – definitely worth the money!). this one was especially user-friendly. i had made a tutu once before, and remember that cutting the many strips of tulle was an irritating nightmare. the method in LTTS has you fold over large pieces of tulle, gather, and sew onto a ribbon waistband that ties in the back. it was frustration-free and turned out great. i also love the suggestion of layering multiple colors of tulle. i started with burgundy at the bottom, then medium pink, then three pieces of light pink. it created a pretty, subtle ombré effect.
i also made a felt rose to clip to the waistband, just like angelina has.
to make the rose, i cut out a circle, then started cutting it in an imperfect spiral until i got to the center. i shaped it into a flower, hot glued it around the back to keep it in place, then glued on the leaves and a small circle with two slits to thread an alligator clip through. i’ve seen the circle flower method floating around the internet, and my mom used it to make some paper flowers recently, too. nice and easy.
i’m kind of glad she wasn’t in a modeling mood today, actually – it’ll leave a little more room for surprise when the rest of the costume is pulled together. 😉
not going to sign off on KCWC just yet, as i have a “bonus project” that may or may not come together before the end. we’ll see! happy final days of the challenge, everybody!