sheet as top

3 Apr

drunk off the success of my first wiksten tank, i decided to remix it! honestly, i’d been waiting for a great-fitting base pattern that i could work with to create something new, so this was a really fun challenge.

i drafted elbow length sleeves (holy cow, full grown women sleeves look GINORMOUS when you’re not used to sewing anything larger than a 3T!) and gathered them at the top for a little puff. then i created the bow collar by cutting a really really long, 5″ wide strip. i folded it in half and sewed around all edges, leaving enough open in the center to fit around the raw neckline of the tank. i turned the tube right side out, finished just the chest area of the neckline with bias, sewed the open part of the collar on around the rest, then topstitched it in place.

IMG_9988

so this is kind of funny – my grandma always used to wear bow collared shirts to family Christmas parties. that’s my point of reference for these things, and until i saw THIS beauty by sophie, i was never really interested in wearing one myself. once i saw hers, though, i wanted to try making one. as i cut it out, i had no idea whether it would actually work or not, and it made me so anxious while i was sewing! was i wasting my time with a flop, or would it turn out? i think it turned out! :)

IMG_9978

after i tried it on, i decided i wanted it a bit more fitted, so i pinched some fabric at my mid back, then just sewed it down on the inside. i’m going full blown romance with this shirt – puff sleeves, big bow, floral, and a sort of peplum back!

IMG_9987

i shortened the front by a couple inches and i wish i’d done that in the back too, for the sole reason that it peeks out from under my jacket when i wear it to work. and i have worn it to work! it feels so subversive when i do, because it’s actually a vintage bed sheet! OH YES! this sucker was $4 at goodwill, and i’ve already made a toddler dress, skirt, and a sash for myself out of it. pret-ty good. and i would be remiss if i didn’t show you our mother and daughter matching vintage sheet garments in the same shot, so behold:

IMG_0020

it only felt dorky once i took my jacket off. ;)

37 Responses to “sheet as top”

1. Cirque Du Bebe April 3, 2012 at 4:20 am #

Haha great title! And um, SO cute, not to mention creative. I don’t ever dare to go off the path with patterns, you brave thing you. Would be very interested in a tutorial! Thanks for the mention too.

• kristin April 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

And thank YOU for the inspiration! I still love yours best. :)

2. erin April 3, 2012 at 5:39 am #

this is awesome! you are seriously talented…. and thrify! love it :)

3. kate April 3, 2012 at 6:12 am #

I love this! The fabric is gorgeous.

4. Rachel April 3, 2012 at 7:20 am #

I really like your new top ~ I would totally wear something like that !
    amazing you got 3 sewing projects out of one $4 sheet ~ what a deal !

5. Leigh April 3, 2012 at 8:28 am #

It definitely turned out – I love it!

6. Kathy April 3, 2012 at 8:38 am #

This is so cute and feminine. I love the use of the vintage sheet…it has to be so soft and cool to wear….what a great material for spring and summer. I also like it a little longer in the back. It gives it a special feminine flow.

• kristin April 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks – extra bonus is the sheet doesn’t really wrinkle – might be some polyester in it? Gotta love that.

7. Trinh April 3, 2012 at 8:46 am #

i’ve always loved bow tops and yours is great! i would never think the wiksten tank could turn into that. great find on the sheet too.

8. Stef April 3, 2012 at 9:09 am #

You are such a thrill seeker, Kristin!! haha. I think the top is gorgeous. Seriously. You should throw off your jacket with pride. Love it!!

• kristin April 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

I KNOW, RIGHT?! Total sewing daredevil. :D

9. gail April 3, 2012 at 9:11 am #

sheet as top, hehe. it looks great on you, and i’m totally floored that you created that shirt from the tank pattern! amazing, i tell ya. :)

10. Crystal April 3, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Oh my gosh. You did that with the tank pattern. I need to try this. Maybe you do need to do a tutorial…. or I could just buy that shirt off you :) It turned out so well!

• kristin April 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Jess of Craftiness is Not Optional talks about how to make sleeves – I just used the same idea for mine. Check out her tutorial section – but maybe I’ll do one down the road for “grown up” clothes. Hehe.

11. 7cakes April 3, 2012 at 10:58 am #

That’s super cute! I love bow collars =D

12. you and mie April 3, 2012 at 11:51 am #

It’s BEEEAUTIFUL! Love the bow collar!

13. replicatethendeviate April 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Love the bow collar and length of the sleeves. I’m sure my parents had that sheet; the pillow case still lurks in their linen cupboard.

• kristin April 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

HA! Funny. Pillowcase dress for a little one, perhaps?

14. Jessica @ Running With Scissors April 4, 2012 at 7:57 am #

It turned out so great! Great remix and I love it! The last shot with the matching pieces is my favorite and this top looks so great with the gray blazer! I love tops like this that look comfortable and effortless.

15. rachael April 4, 2012 at 9:21 am #

looks great!! love that top by sophie too :) it would seem that pussy bows are popping up everywhere. which is a really strange sentence…

16. anna April 4, 2012 at 9:55 am #

i love that post title! great top, looks super comfy and that you actually wear it to work means a lot.

17. replicatethendeviate April 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

I love it! The sleeves and bow are perfect. :) I’m pretty sure my parents once owned this sheet set; the pillowcase is still lurking in their linen closet. :)

18. Wendy April 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

it looks fantastic, and i love how it looks with the jacket.

19. craftybynight April 5, 2012 at 6:23 am #

I’m absolutely in love with bow collar tops and I have to say this might be one of my favorites! It turned out great and the vintage fabric is so sweet. Though I own a bow collar shirt (and wear it to death) I’ve never made one. I just might have to give it a go now – you’ve inspired me!

20. Johanna April 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I LOVE the sheet! I makes a perfectly awesome shirt!

21. carolyn April 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

You put us all to shame! I love this top and am so impressed that you drafted so many parts of it! Gorgeous!
    And, of course, I’m a big fan of matching clothes…I embrace all forms of dorkiness.

• kristin April 7, 2012 at 12:20 am #

Haha, thanks. If anyone could embrace my matchy matchy dorkiness, it’s you my friend! Hope all is well with the new little one!!

22. saraheuteneier April 13, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Love it! You’re pretty stinkin’ talented :)

23. carolyn April 15, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Woot-woot! Just saw that you won Reader’s Choice on Rae’s blog! You rock!

24. Steph May 16, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Beautiful shirt! I love vintage sheets and have quite a collection going. I just can’t bring myself to cut them up!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. friday fun finds | kojodesigns - April 13, 2012

[...] bow top from a sheet (by skirt as top)? So [...]

2. housecaping « skirt as top - April 16, 2012

[...] my sheet as top?  it ended up winning reader’s choice for the week 2 “top of tops” over on made [...]

3. vintage may inspiration: vintage sheet projects « skirt as top - May 8, 2012

[...] tend to prefer using inexpensive fabric so i don’t stress out if it’s a flop.  for my bow collar top, i was drafting adult-sized sleeves for the first time and adding a bow, and i was pretty terrified [...]

4. Britex Fabrics - Blog - January 28, 2013

[...] Tank</a>.  As I’ve done <a href=”http://skirtastop.com/2012/04/03/sheet-as-top/“>before</a&gt;, I decided to add three quarter sleeves, which gives the shirt a bit [...]

5. flocking bird silk shirt with sleeve tutorial « skirt as top - January 28, 2013

[...] started with one of my favorite adult patterns, the Wiksten Tank.  As I’ve done before, I decided to add three quarter sleeves, which gives the shirt a bit more substance and slightly [...]