rainbow loom road trip case

6 Feb

recently i got to pattern test my friend Anna’s newest offering, the Road Trip Case!  I decided to make the “Rainbow Loom” version for Em.

rainbow loom road trip case

rainbow loom road trip case

Em got a Rainbow Loom (affiliate link) from her aunt and uncle for Christmas, and immediately became obsessed.  i helped her look up how-to videos on YouTube, we found this one, and she’d just play it on repeat while fishtail looming to her heart’s content.

rainbow loom road trip case

it was actually kind of amazing how quickly she picked up on it – i wasn’t sure if she’d be too young, but she seemed to have zero trouble.  like i’d leave the room, come back, and she’d have a bracelet “cast on” and well on its way.  crafting must be in her blood.  ;)

rainbow loom road trip case

and of course, when a new hobby is started, there’s all sorts of new gear and a storage solution becomes necessary.  that’s where the Road Trip Case comes in.

rainbow loom road trip case

this was such a fun pattern to pick fabrics for!  i went sort of “modern granny floral mashup” with it, mixing a fat quarter from heather ross’ briar rose (i got it at Bolt, you can get it here) with some pink kona solid, a vintage sheet from my stash, and some awesome purple floral bias tape that Jess gave me.  it was a project for Em and only for her, so i just went with what i thought would make her happy.

rainbow loom road trip case

the pattern instructs you to make a see-through vinyl pocket.  i’d never sewn with vinyl before but it was super fun, not painful (just use scotch tape on your presser foot/the strike plate if it’s sticking), and the result is so cool.  the zipper was pretty much the easiest zipper i’ve ever inserted, too.

rainbow loom road trip case

there is an elastic loop for your hook, elasticized pockets for you loom(s), and the pattern includes an alternate option for flap pockets to use for more general art/craft supplies.  i love the one Anna adapted to make into a travel sewing case – if it’s ever in the cards for me to go to one of those awesome sewing retreats that keeps popping up, you know i’ll be making a case for it!

rainbow loom road trip case

i really enjoy small quilting projects like this – not sure if you can see it too well, but the case is quilted together and it gives it such a nice sturdiness and structure (much like my hospital bag, also a Noodlehead pattern).  the pattern itself is great, too – Anna is great at listening to testers and an advanced beginner could  definitely tackle it.  it’s fun to bring all the components together for such a utilitarian (and cute!) case.

rainbow loom road trip case

and of course it folds up all tidy too (i poached a few of Em’s mini elastic hair bands).

rainbow loom road trip case

RAINBOW LOOM POWER.

get your Road Trip Case pattern over at Noodlehead and thanks for letting me test it for ya, Anna!

* * *

P.S.  Em’s star star dress is blogged HERE, and her hair is in braids because these photos happened to be taken the same day as THIS post!

16 Responses to “rainbow loom road trip case”

1. laurabehindthehedgerow February 6, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Oh, well aren’t you a genius?! This is EXACTLY what my house needs!! I love it. This is going on my to-sew list. Thanks for the perfect inspiration. x

• kristin February 6, 2014 at 11:05 am #

Well Anna is the genius, but thanks! ;)

2. victoriapeat February 6, 2014 at 9:52 am #

I spied the road trip case the other day and it looks like a great pattern but I am completely in awe of the rainbow loom. My 5 year old daughter would love one! Is it wrong to buy your children presents when Christmas was only a few weeks ago? If I buy her one I promise to make her one of these fab cases….

• kristin February 6, 2014 at 11:04 am #

doooooo it! and go to that YouTube video I linked to – an easy way to get started and the girl that narrates is so cute.

3. Jessica Lance Christian February 6, 2014 at 10:41 am #

so adorable. I love the whole fabric mash up! The bias tape is actually Liberty! It looks perfect with these. She’ll have to show Sadie how to make one when we come!

• kristin February 6, 2014 at 11:06 am #

LIBERTY?! Oh man. I actually sewed some Liberty without knowing it?! I usually put it away in a special box to be hoarded forever!

*hyperventilates*

*faints*

4. erin February 6, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

love that vintage sheet – so cute with the other purple goodies!

5. Jenny February 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

My son thinks Ashley Steph is the bomb. When family come over, he likes to teach them how to do bracelets, and suddenly he’s this other person, trying to use just her cadence. (“This is VERY important, you must remember to turn the loom around.”)

Great Road Trip Case. I’m working on one now . . . or I would be, if I could get myself off the computer. Love Anna’s patterns.

• kristin February 7, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

That’s what Em does too! It’s adorable.

6. Caroline February 6, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

This is such a great idea! It is so cool that the young ones can pick up on the looming prett easily. But those bands, I curse thee! Where is your yellow rug from?

7. Christine February 7, 2014 at 3:06 am #

It is so adorable! I love the fabrics. I hope some little person I know is into the rainbow loom so I can make one for her.

8. Lightning McStitch February 7, 2014 at 3:22 am #

I’ve never seen the rainbow band thing but I’m intrigued. Love your modern granny floral mash-up and I’m wetting myself with laughter at your accidental, casual use of Liberty bias binding.

9. Sabra at Sew a Straight Line February 7, 2014 at 8:22 am #

My 8 year old wants a rainbow loom. I’ve been holding back because I keep seeing people complain about the mess, but this may be the solution. Genius. And super cute, especially Em in her braids and dress!

10. gail February 8, 2014 at 10:58 am #

it’s perfect! i can’t wait to sew one of these – and you know, we should really do more local sewing get-togethers, don’t you think? i’m always so jealous when i see photos of people sewing together…we should organize something, then sew up Road Trip cases!!

11. Cherie April 14, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

Oh, the Liberty bias tape looks great here! But yeah, I get it . . .
    I want to make one of these! All of Anna’s patterns look so awesome!