retro raglan sweatshirt

3 Feb

well look at this, some legit KCW sewing happened after all.  i sewed this just under the wire on day 7, after getting enough of my nesting out of the way that i was able to “indulge myself” in making another project that’s been brewing in my mind for months.

retro sweatshirt raglan

kind of funny what takes hold in my head sometimes – lately it has been a retro-style sweatshirt.  i’ve noticed them in men’s fashion, both as basics and with interesting details (like color blocking, patches, piping, etc.) to them.  and since O has now definitely grown out of the neon dinosweater i made during the Fall 2012 KCW, it was time to make another and finally scratch the retro sweatshirt itch.

retro sweatshirt raglan

i went pretty basic with the colors – army green and cream, with khaki topstitching.  i added a star drawn onto some webbing for a little “Vintage Army” detailing, heavily influenced by Sabra’s fantastic boy looks for STYLO magazine (if you haven’t seen STYLO yet, please do yourself a huge favor and go check it out!).

retro sweatshirt raglan

i’m not usually into much of a military look for little kids, but in this case i thought O might appreciate a Sarge from “Cars” reference with the star and the color scheme.

he did appreciate it.

retro sweatshirt raglan

the fabric is a donate-pile cotton hoodie from my husband, a nice and heavy one that i knew would be great for layering in the springtime.  the neckline and sleeves are rib knit from JoAnn, and the waistband is from the original sweatshirt.  i did all the internal sewing on my serger but did honeycomb topstitching over the shoulders and on the v-patch at the neck with my machine.  i might end up topstitching around the neckline too, we’ll see how much it flips up.

retro raglan sweatshirt

i looked up why sweatshirts have the little triangle at the collar and here’s the answer.  mine is just appliquéd on.  it seems to be a design element more than a practical one at this point, as a bunch of RTW shirts i examined in stores had either just the stitching or an appliqué; it wasn’t pieced in.

retro sweatshirt raglan

the pattern is the Oliver + S Field Trip Raglan Tee in a 3T (size up if you’re making this as outerwear so it can be layered!).  i took just a little length off the sleeves and hem to compensate for the cuffs rather than hems like the pattern calls for, but i left them slightly long so he can grow into it over time.

retro raglan sweatshirt

i love how versatile this pattern is – i just sewed it as a pajama shirt, now it’s a sweatshirt, i’ve seen dress versions…all fun and cute!  it’s totally fast to sew, the fit and shape are great, and it looks different each time depending on fabric choice.  i especially love the look of raglans on little boys, so i plan to keep sewing these!  so classic.

retro raglan sweatshirt

the Field Trip Raglan Tee, Playtime Leggings, and Seashore Bloomers are all now offered as individual PDFs from Oliver + S as i think i’ve mentioned before – a great way to try out their fantastic patterns at a lower price point.  if you’ve never sewn one before, you should probably start your collection here and see why i’m always blathering on about how great they are.  ;)

retro sweatshirt raglan

i’ve been sewing a lot more for this kid since i found out he’s getting a little brother that’ll be able to wear it all eventually.  poor Em and her closetful of dresses she’s quickly growing out of.  this spring i should probably work on that a bit!

kid's clothes week

15 Responses to “retro raglan sweatshirt”

1. Adrianna February 3, 2014 at 5:28 am #

I love all your details. Raglans are the best! I want my next one to feature leather…might have to copy that little tag idea – it’s small but adds so much!

• kristin February 6, 2014 at 9:43 am #

thank you!! i can’t wait to make your lady one – it looks fantastic.

2. Trine February 3, 2014 at 6:44 am #

I absolutely love this!!! Wow! All the details are just perfect.

3. Erinerin February 3, 2014 at 7:00 am #

such a great boy look. your details make it! O is such a handsome kid.

4. Nienke February 3, 2014 at 11:06 am #

A fabulous sweater, and the topstitching gives it such a professional finish!

5. Teresa February 3, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

I love this! And I love the appliqued triangle up front. I NEED to sew some more for my kiddos…they both could use a few staple pieces added to their wardrobe!

6. gail February 3, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

He’s so cute in his sweatshirt! I love your details, especially the star. Baby #3 is going to inherit a fabulous wardrobe!

7. girllikethesea February 4, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

Eek! It’s so perfect. I love it. It’s funny that for kcw we both ended up making sweatshirts from daddy donated ones. I even used the waistband from Tim’s. Haha. Twinsies.

8. delia February 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Love the colors here. Yellow, red, army green. You have such great taste. Oh and thanks for the link explaining the neckline triangle. Never knew that! :)

• kristin February 6, 2014 at 9:54 am #

thanks so much, Delia! and yeah, I’d wondered that too! ;)

9. Lightning McStitch February 5, 2014 at 2:23 am #

Great sweater Kristin. Yours looks decidedly “outerwear” and only one size up? I went up about 4 sizes with my Kenzo one!
    Love that honeycomb stitching detail. I’ve been dreaming about a flatlocking machine to do that with swimwear especially but your faked effect is free and every bit as awesome. Well done.

• kristin February 6, 2014 at 9:56 am #

He just turned 3 and the 2T size probably still fits him fine – I think the 3T is quite a bit bigger if I remember what the pattern looked like? Also, I added cuffs so the arms and body ended up naturally longer; only trimmed like .5″ off each but added quite a bit more (in addition to not hemming). ANYWAY. I still want a flatlocker/coverstitch machine too. I hear they’re dreamy.

10. Caroline February 5, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Had to pin this one! If only they made an adult pattern, my husband lives in these!