striped knit baby pants

1 Feb

DAY 3 – 4 of baby prep week: blog, run important errands like picking up my contacts prescription and making a Target run for things to put in the hospital bag, sleep, have lots of braxton hicks contractions and watch my belly drop even further, throw some stuff into hospital bag, go on 10th wedding anniversary dinner date with husband.  :)

DAY 5  of baby prep week: sew some baby pants!!!!!

comfy stripe baby pants

teehee!  aren’t these kid of silly but also adorable?  i think they are.  i’ve actually had this idea to make some super simple and comfy skinny-legged knit newborn pants for a long time now based on my favorite ones that i used all the time with the first two kids.  the annoying thing about shopping at actual stores is they’ll have something great one season, never to be seen again – so i had some favorite 0-3 month baby pants from when Em was born that i’ve been hanging onto but have seen better days.

i just went ahead and used them as a template to make these out of scraps from my maternity pencil skirt (it’s a ponte knit), eliminating the center seam to try a sort of drop crotch look (heavily influenced by Tara) and big cuffs.  ain’t nobody got time for hemming teeny tiny baby pant legs.

comfy stripe baby pants

they were super quick and fun to make, took very little fabric, and i have no idea if they’ll fit.  if they do, i’ll probably make a bunch more and release this as a free pattern and tutorial for your baby sewing pleasure.  they’re so fast and i THINK they’ll be so cute, but perhaps they’ll be ridiculous in a clownishly bad way, in which case i’ll do some tweaking.  i’ll let you know.

comfy stripe baby pants

it’s a bummer that i don’t have a little baby to try them on NOW because i kinda want to whip up about 5 pairs of these out of old t-shirts and knit scraps immediately.  i’m gonna take them to the hospital…with a backup outfit in case they’re just wrong.  haha.

but yeah, a baby pants design that’s been floating around in my head is finally an actual real-life garment, so that’s another item off my random pregnancy brain “to do” list (current remaining items include having a new kitchen sink installed and sewing a changing pad cover out of this fabric to go in the boy’s room).

hey look i match the button!

kid's clothes week

25 Responses to “striped knit baby pants”

1. carolyn February 1, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

It’s like nesting overdrive with you! I love it!
    Those are incredibly cute little pants. Can’t wait to see them on an incredibly cute little baby!

• kristin February 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm #

total nesting overdrive! i can’t stop, and it feels so good! thanks girl, oh man i can’t wait to meet him too. :)

2. Kelly February 1, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

Awwww, witty bitty baby pants!! So cute!! I bet they’ll work, they look like the right shape- big bum, little legs…so excited for you that he’ll be here soon!

• kristin February 1, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

that’s what i think with the big bum, littlle legs – they match up pretty well to the storebought ones so my fingers are crossed.

3. Carla February 1, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

I feel ridiculously lucky to be expecting a baby boy just a little while after you, I plan to hold off on baby pants until your little model can give that adorable pair a try!

• kristin February 1, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

haha thanks! you look amazing by the way!

4. Catelyn February 1, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

So cute and tiny!! I just sewed up some baby jeggings for my sister who is expecting late March. I love tiny stretchy cute things!

5. gail February 1, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

yup, those are pretty dang cute! now come out, little baby, and try on your pants!!

6. Elizabeth February 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

I love these pants! I hate how most baby pants are always riding up, especially when the baby’s in a front carrier. Those long cuffs are smart!

• kristin February 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

agree! i like the skinny legged pants for the reason too. the wider legged ones are cute but they do ride up, for sure.

7. Abby February 1, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

Those are the cutest pants ever, Kristin! They will definitely be adorable on him. I can’t believe you’re so close now! Makes me feel like maybe I should be doing something to prepare for my baby too, yikes!

• kristin February 1, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

aw thanks Abby! yeah i sort of didn’t realize how close i was until just a couple weeks ago and now it’s been a full on baby readiness blitz. kinda sneaks up on you at the end there!

8. crafterhours1758 February 1, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

Very cute! gotta love checking things of your “project list”!

9. Nienke February 1, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

They’re very cute, love them! Exciting, those last baby preps! When is your due date?

• kristin February 1, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

i’m due february 24 but i didn’t make it to my due date with either of the other two, so we’ll see. ;)

10. Jeifner February 1, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

They are so tiny, so cute! I hope they work as I’d love to try my hand at making some.

11. suz February 2, 2014 at 1:32 am #

These are so cute Kristin and look super comfy!!!

12. Monica Swift February 2, 2014 at 5:48 am #

Awww, Kristin these look so cute! I can’t wait to see them modeled!!! :)

13. Melissa February 2, 2014 at 7:37 am #

Bonnie of fishsticksdesigns has a similar pant pattern (legs are a bit wider) in her little one layette pattern and they are coo-coo cute on my little guy who is 2 months old now and they are perfect for his cloth diaper bum :) so i bet they’ll be crazy cute on your soon to be!

14. Leslie February 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Can’t wait to see this as a pattern for an upcoming granddaughter in June!

15. Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots February 2, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

They look so adorable – I can’t wait to see them on the baby :)

16. rachel February 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

well, you had me at the stripes. sooo cute! i love his going home outfit. and you’re right, it is so hard to size things correctly when they are living in yo belly. almost all of the baby things i made for iris were fails when i tried them on. booo!

17. Cherie February 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Yay baby pants!! Love this style and the fabric is perfect. And now you can be twinsies with baby boy if you wear your maxi :) Can’t wait to see the lil bum in these pants!

18. girllikethesea February 4, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

So freaking cute!!! I think hawthorne’s diaper butt filled so much space in his dropped crotch pants that they don’t even look dropped. Lol. On violet you can definitely tell. I was definitely skeptical about how those clown pants were going to look on both kids though. Ha! Love that little outfit together. So cute.

19. muchoxoxo February 8, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

Oh I love these! So adorable and cozy. The thick cuffs are a great idea, so cute!