lickety split field study bag

6 Jan

for all the sewing i’ve done from Rae’s patterns over the years, i’d never made one of her purses!  she was kind enough to send me the lickety split and the bonsai bag patterns in advance of the holidays, and i sewed up a lickety split for our awesome day care gal as a Christmas present.

lickety split field study bag

Rae actually released this pattern in 2009 (forever ago in sewingbloglandyears)!  i’ve always thought it was a neat design and it looked like it could be sewn quickly but also had nice style to it, so it seemed like the perfect project for my gift sewing spree this year.

you can see in the older patterns how Rae’s pattern writing and digitizing skills have progressed over the last four years, but even though it’s an “elderly pattern” it’s still digital, a smart design, clearly written…and a lot of fun to sew!

lickety split field study bag

i used a really pretty Anna Maria Horner Field Study linen (Flower Circuit in Sunny) for the bag, which was given to me by Jess (that gal seems to have become my main fabric provider lately, hehe) and lined it with a pink kona cotton from my stash.  i skipped the outer pockets but added one to the inside.  the bag can be reversible if you want!

lickety split field study bag

it took a bit more fabric than i expected due to the looooong handles and being cut on the fold, so i ended up piecing two outers together on one side which looked completely fine.  after taking these photos, i decided to add a snap (just a normal size 16 metal snap, nothing fancy) at the top center to keep it from gaping open.  it just took it from “tote” to “purse” a little more, too.

lickety split field study bag

my big ol’ belly makes it look a little small and out of proportion maybe, but to me it’s the perfect size bag to use everyday for lots of different applications (diaper bag, errand-running bag, gym bag, lunch bag, grocery bag, car bag for road trips) and i love that the straps can be tied to be longer or even separately (say onto a stroller handle or cart) if desired.  the boxed bottom is great, too, gives it a nice shape.

lickety split field study bag

the title of the pattern actually describes both the design and the sewing…it truly came together lickety split!

i’ve got fabric picked for another one to keep for myself.  ;)

14 Responses to “lickety split field study bag”

1. Andrea January 6, 2014 at 10:47 am #

What a great bag! I bet it’ll really come in handy! So, how much do I need to babysit before I get one too? :) Love you and great work.

2. rachel January 6, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Ooo, look at you rocking that baby bump!

the bag compliments your jacket so well, it’s a shame you had to pass it along. :) though what a lucky recipient.

3. Jan January 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

Love your version of this bag. What a wonderful gift.

4. Katie January 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

I’m sure the recipient will love it! I use my Lickety Split bag all the time — it’s my go-to diaper bag :)

5. catherinemarycreates January 7, 2014 at 5:13 am #

Looks like a great ‘throw it all in bag’, great when you have kids. love that material too.

6. sewcraftlive January 7, 2014 at 8:52 am #

How cute! I love the colors in the fabric you used.

7. Sanae January 7, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Super cute! And your baby bump is even super cuter! What a rock star you are for swing up so many handmade gifts – so impressed.

8. Rae January 7, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Haha yes “ELDERLY!!” I love that. So true. I think this was the second pattern I ever published, way before I started going all multi-sized and fancy. :)

Looks great — I’m way impressed with all of your pre-Christmas sewing frenzy. As for me, I did no sewing for Christmas this year. Oh well!! :)

9. gail January 7, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

that fabric is beautiful! and your belly – are you having a baby next month or something??? pretty darn cute!!

10. Kelly January 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

OMG you are adorable with that belly :) What a cute bag, I have a couple of Rae’s bag patterns but haven’t made them yet, gotta get on that!

11. girllikethesea January 8, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Your version of the elderly Rae pattern is great. All I can see now though is your magnificent belly!!!

12. sara January 8, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

I just love my bag and the colors are great! I also love the fact it is a “elderly” pattern as this gal will NOT be using it for a diaper bag. ;) I think it will look smashing on our Italy trip this summer…I will tell everyone it is a custom/one of a kind just for me!
    Day care with your little guy O and little avocado coming up will be wonderful!

13. carolyn January 10, 2014 at 9:10 am #

I realized that this post is about the blog but all I can focus on is your super-cute belly. Rub, rub, rub!!

14. Melissa Q. January 12, 2014 at 7:22 am #

How are doing all of this? I’m just confused. Are you cloning Kristins? The bag looks great, I’m swooning.