kcw spring 2013 :: pleated plaid skirt

23 Apr

alright so not the most exciting sewing ever, but something i’ve been wanting to make for months now and something she actually NEEDS, so it’s pretty satisfying. and that’s what kid’s clothes week is all about, amirite?

pleated plaid skirt

Em grew out of her uniform pants (and hates wearing them anyway).  so even though there’s not much school left, she still needed more options as the weather warms up.  i figured this Oliver + S 2+2 Skirt should get her through the rest of the year (and start her off for next too, probably).  it’s a 3T with 1″ in added length.

pleated plaid skirt

i didn’t do the button loop and instead added a buttonhole on the waistband – i THINK that’s how the “real” uniform skirts close, and i’m supposed to copy them the best i can as you’ll recall.  the fabric is from the uniform company; it’s weird polyester that frays like crazy and doesn’t wrinkle but when you DO iron it into pleats, it stays like that through washing.  so bizarre.

matching plaids is something i just sort of guess at, but i’m pretty sure my mediocre skills still trump the store-bought ones, so any plaid-match imperfections actually make it look LESS homemade if you can believe that.

pleated plaid skirt

i just love it with knee highs and a peter pan blouse.

pleated plaid skirt

but it was too chilly this morning for coat-less photos.  sorry, Em!

pleated plaid skirt

quickest photoshoot ever.  seriously, like less than a minute.

i’m feeling a bit sickish, so i think i need to hit the hay early and hopefully make up for my slacking tomorrow (i finished this skirt at 1am last night, probably not the best idea).  anyway…happy sewing, everyone!

23 Responses to “kcw spring 2013 :: pleated plaid skirt”

1. suz April 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

Looks like a lot of work! Very profesh

• kristin April 23, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

the skirt definitely takes a while, but this one went together a lot faster than my last one, now that i had the pleating practice. thanks!

2. Andrea April 23, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Poor E will have a solid 10 years of uniform wearing. Ugh! :) And like so many other Catholic school girls before her, she too will ask someday, “What can I do to make this uniform cute?” The answer is always the same…socks, shoes, and hair. Am I right? :)

• kristin April 23, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

you are right! glitter shoes, french braids, and knee socks for this little gal today. she was rockin it. ;)

3. Cherie April 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Dang, those pleats are impressive. Definitely looks better than the “real” deal. Hope the day warmed up for you though – poor girl :P

• kristin April 23, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

haha thanks. YES it got to like the mid 60s today! perfect skirt-and-knee high weather. ;)

4. africanbayeaux April 24, 2013 at 12:32 am #

Plaid matching looks pretty professional to me, I’m doing my first shirt with plaid for KCW and couldn’t get the plaid to square on fold over pieces and I haven’t got to cutting out yet

• africanbayeaux April 24, 2013 at 12:36 am #

should say ‘sewing yet’ not ‘cutting out’, I’m new to blogging and (feeling slightly stalkerish posting on blogs of people I don’t know) I didn’t realise you cant change your own comments, I must triple proof before hitting post.

5. An (StraightGrain) April 24, 2013 at 1:32 am #

The skirt looks just perfect! Not the kind of project which gives you the most aesthetic gratification, I guess, but no doubt better than the store-bought skirts…

6. Cirque Du Bebe April 24, 2013 at 3:12 am #

That looks like way too much work right there Kristin. No wonder you’re feeling sick… but wow, making a uniform is pretty darn impressive. Let alone a crazy pleated one like this…

7. girllikethesea April 24, 2013 at 3:39 am #

oh man, all those pleats must have taken for EVER. But it’s neat that you still get to make her school clothes even though she wears a uniform! Maybe they will switch over to letting all the girls dress like Madeline.

8. Jess at Me Sew Crazy April 24, 2013 at 3:46 am #

Wow Kristin – this is amazing. All of those pleeeeeeeeeeeeats. I would have been cursing my iron less than a quarter way through! You are one talented momma!!!!

9. lucinda April 24, 2013 at 5:07 am #

I’ve always loved that plaid color scheme . . . what’s not to love about green and blue together?:) Very professional looking! Looks adorable with the knee socks and white blouse:)

10. anna April 24, 2013 at 8:41 am #

love making things they actually need!! not enough of that floating around. :)

11. Running WIth Scissors April 24, 2013 at 9:32 am #

great job on the pattern matching! Great to sew utility garments they use every day.
    I also loved the parsley pants from yesterday! You getting a lot sewn!

12. Jeifner April 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Looks good and cold :)

13. missamyjane April 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

It looks great! I love the plaid! My daughter goes to a school with uniforms too, I never thought of making her one, but that would be fun!

14. Delia April 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

I am super impressed Kristin! So that fabric sounds crazy but also really intriguing…I like that it stays pleated and wrinkle free through the wash. very cool…

15. rachel April 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

i love knee socks too! aren’t they the sweetest? and the peter pan bouse, too – a staple around here for uniform wear. very nice job on the skirt. i love your button choice!

16. Adirondack Inspired April 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

This is so impressive! You don’t get to choose the fabric or the pattern, the fabric is kind of weird, and requires pleating and plaid-matching….and yet it is all done so beautifully. Impressed! :)

17. Venus April 24, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

You deserve an award for pleating plaid, fray-crazy fabric. Serious! I bow down to you, mighty sewist! ;)

18. gail April 25, 2013 at 9:43 am #

yay for practical sewing! that skirt looks like hard work, you did a pro job!!

19. Tara April 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

very cute! the knee-highs are adorable :) I use to teach kindergarten at a private school, so fun to see those sweet little uniforms again!