two little sweetheart dresses

12 Feb

it’s almost valentine’s day already!  how did that happen?  i feel like i was just making christmas presents.  i must be getting old – get off my lawn!

valentine sweetheart dress

anyway, valentine’s day is just around the corner, and when it comes the most perfect valentine dress pattern, you can’t go wrong with the sweetheart dress by luvinthemommyhood!

valentine sweetheart dress

this is the second time i sewn this cute little dress – i blogged about Em’s here.  i made this dress for my niece to wear on her birthday, whose party was delayed a bit due to the slightly earlier than expected (but not TOO early) birth of her new little sister!  of course Em wore her dress for the photo op, too.  i just couldn’t help myself.

valentine sweetheart dress

they had too much fun in their matching dresses.  literally.  one of my more difficult photoshoots ever.  these two little girlies were moving CONSTANTLY and thought it was funny to run away and hide under a bed rather than let me take photos.  SO.  i’m lucky to get what i did.  there were bribes involved to get them to hold still – what can i say, they sure do love playing together!

valentine sweetheart dress

for my niece’s dress, i made it in lizzy house outfoxed triangles (from bolt).  i added mint green piping between the bodice and skirt as a fun little detail.  the button is pink and sparkly.

valentine sweetheart dress

my niece is more average in her proportions than Em is, so the heart fits her even better!  she doesn’t wear dresses too often, but she seemed to really love twirling in this one.

valentine sweetheart dress

pretty great little spring dress, eh?  you can buy the sweetheart dress pattern right here.  as i mentioned before, there is a little bit of a different method of joining the lining and outer due to the cutout – be sure to read the directions carefully and let shannon guide you on through, and you’ll quickly make one of the sweetest dresses in the land!

valentine sweetheart dress

are you doing homemade or store bought valentines this year?  it’s Em’s first year at school, and we just went with store bought.  but then Anna posted this super cute duo of free printables and i’m sorry we had already bought some!  so cute, you guys.  gotta remember it for next year.

happy valentine’s day!

I am an affiliate of Go To Patterns and this post contains affiliate links.

20 Responses to “two little sweetheart dresses”

1. Haylee February 12, 2013 at 6:13 am #

Ahh man you’ve done it again Kristin, these are absolutely adorable. I love the button-back closures too, seriously well done!

2. Cindy February 12, 2013 at 7:51 am #

Adorable! The heart cut out on the back is too cute.

We will be doing homemade this year. Probably the same as last year…a photo of the girl(s) with a lollipop in their outstretched hand(s).

3. Rachel February 12, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Very sweet. Fun seeing these dresses sewn up!

4. Erin February 12, 2013 at 10:01 am #

So cute! But tell me more about that sweet quilt…. You made that too I’m guessing? Love it!

5. Stef February 12, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Super cute, Kristin!! I love the two of them together!!

I totally just bought Nerds Valentine’s at the grocery store – didn’t even take Liv to pick out her own – she said she doesn’t want to do Valentine’s this year – what??!?!! must be an awkward stage?? so I store bought the candy ones. if she doesn’t care, I’m not going to care.

6. carolyn February 12, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Eek! Double the cuteness! I need to get around to making this pattern…the big heart on the back is right up O’s alley!

7. gail February 12, 2013 at 10:38 am #

what a couple of cuties!! and what a perfect little dress for valentine’s day!

8. Truly Myrtle February 12, 2013 at 11:44 am #

They look adorable!!! I really should make some for my three girls….

9. Andrea February 12, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Love!!!

10. sanae February 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Such sweetness! Perfect for Valentine’s and how cute they are together :-)

11. NotJustaKNitWit February 12, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

The dresses are adorable!

12. Abby February 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Oh Jess they are both so adorable! And I have to agree that the quilt is adorable too!

13. Delia February 12, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

This photo shoot is DARLING! Truly. You are a fantastic photographer. And those dresses. I love love them. :)

14. Ana Lopes February 13, 2013 at 3:56 am #

How sweet! Thanks so much for sharing. Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

15. domestic bliss squared February 13, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Adorable! I love the heart cut out!

16. Running WIth Scissors February 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Both look so great. I would have loved a matching dress with my cousin when I was a little girl! The heart cutouts look great on both backs!

17. dana February 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

these are so cute Kristin! I love girls playing together and being girly :)
    And yea. we’re doing store-bought. I feel like a DIY blog fail there. But it was soooo much easier. Can’t do it all, right? Next year yes.

18. Caila February 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

These are so cute, Kristin! The details are great and I love the fabrics you chose. And those girls are so cute! What a treasure to have cousins nearby.

19. suz February 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Sweet! This would be a great pattern for flower girl dresses :)