essex linen sidekick tote

9 Jan

my buddy Jessica made me an awesome pillow for my birthday, and then her birthday was at the end of December so it was only right that i make her something in return!  i actually considered asking her husband for her measurements and surprising her with a washi dress, but i figured that was just a taaaaad risky.

so i made her a purse instead.

black linen sidekick tote

it’s the Nooodlehead sidekick tote.  Anna is the queen of the amazing bag pattern, and i always love how interesting and unique her designs are (my purse creativity is pretty non-existent).  i’d been wanting to sew it for a long time now, so this was my proverbial kick in the pants.  it’s a really great pattern and the details are perfect!  i made the large size, since Jessica’s got a couple munchkins to haul stuff around for.

black linen sidekick tote

Gail and Anna have both sewn it in a yarn dyed black essex linen, so i just went with what i knew worked for the outside (it’s from Bolt).  plus i know it’s one of Jessica’s favorite fabrics and she’d probably enjoy carrying it around / petting it.  we nerd out about fabric a lot in our friendship.  doesn’t everyone?

black linen sidekick tote

the pocket is bound with the seersucker i’ve used a few times so far, most notably on little red.

black linen sidekick tote

and the lining is sort of another bit of silliness – i always say kona olive goes with everything, and so…i used it, mostly to make Jessica snicker.  but also, it REALLY DOES go with everything.

black linen sidekick tote

the zipper is magenta (a little brighter than reality in this photo) and the interior pocket is an anna maria horner loulouthi print from Jess.

black linen sidekick tote

there’s a good amount of interfacing (i used Pellon SF101 as recommended) giving the sidekick a nice structure.  i definitely tried harder to keep my stitching neat and crisp too, since this would be the first in-person example of my sewing she’d see and i didn’t want her to think i was a total hack face.

black linen sidekick tote

my giant vintage coat collar and i were ready to make off with it / keep it…but i didn’t.  i stuffed it with fat quarters and washi tape magnets and other trinkets and shipped it off to Ohio like a good crafty friend should.

HBD, Jessica!

30 Responses to “essex linen sidekick tote”

1. Jess at Me Sew Crazy January 9, 2013 at 6:18 am #

It came out lovely – I have been thinking about making one for ages. Love the fabrics you used in yours!

2. carolyn January 9, 2013 at 6:24 am #

My favorite part of the bag? The seersucker binding around the pocket! Its a perfect fabric choice!

3. anna January 9, 2013 at 7:46 am #

oh man!!!! it’s amazing! I love your fabric picks, and it looks amazingly sewn, perfect! Wow, you look super ultra cute in these pics. I’m so excited you liked the pattern. :)

4. Erin January 9, 2013 at 7:55 am #

i want this!!! love your colors… the zipper rocks. and, i want your coat too. STAT.

5. nestedinstitches January 9, 2013 at 8:00 am #

cute! I especially love the seersucker. that bag has such a great shape… particularly when it’s stuffed full of fqs! : )

6. gail January 9, 2013 at 8:03 am #

oh i love it! the olive and magenta are great together and the seersucker binding looks fab with the essex linen. and HA, the one thing you are not is a hack face!! :)

7. Delia January 9, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Sooooo cute. You are a really good friend and a great gifter! And your top bun is the cutest. :)

8. an January 9, 2013 at 9:42 am #

So pretty! I love the contrast between the outside and the inside fabrics. It’s like a little ray of sunshine each time you open the bag!

9. darci January 9, 2013 at 9:51 am #

The bias binding looks perfect ans I love the loulouthi pocket!

10. holly | bijou lovely January 9, 2013 at 9:58 am #

You are such a good friend! The bag looks amazing! Perfect fabric combo! :)

11. Rachel January 9, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Awesomeness all around! And hack face? I love it! Made me laugh.

12. little red monkey January 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Love it :-)

13. Haylee January 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Wow! Really well done job, it looks flawless. It IS flawless, seriously your top stitching, binding, and crisp lines and everything are absolutely perfect. I never would have guessed you made it. I love the contrasting binding too, it really looks great with the linen. Jessica is one lucky girl!

14. Rachel January 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Um, I am in love with your purse. And I am super impressed that you made it. It looks incredible. And the inside just tickles me – so fun.

15. Cindy January 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

It looks like the perfect size bag! Great job with the fabric choices.:)

16. mamagwen January 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Oooooh, how lovely! Fantastic colour and fabric combos. Love the bright, colourful lining, it’s gorgeous!

17. Jess January 9, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

It’s amazing, Kristin! I am the same way if I sew something for another sewist….extremely slow and precise sewing happens…lol! I was super happy to see the fabric I sent you in the pocket! I loved the bright happy inside of the purse, but that the outside could go with anything!

18. melissa q. January 10, 2013 at 6:29 am #

Beautiful bag. MMhmm. Looks like a lovely pattern. I’m on a bag-making kick myself…just made a messenger bag yesterday from a ridiculously frustrating Japanese translation book. Thank goodness I made it with leftover fabric, now I get to tweak it and use the good stuff. But, this post is tempting me to just make this bag instead. Hmm. Also, it’s true, olive goes with everything. Never doubt it.

19. lucinda January 10, 2013 at 6:49 am #

This is gorgeous! What a great friend you are:) Love the surprise lining color – it will be treat to the eyes every time she peeks into her bag:)

20. Maureen Cracknell January 10, 2013 at 6:55 am #

It’s amazing! What a sweet and special friendship you two have!

21. Laura January 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

What a lovely gift. I have the pattern and some of that same linen waiting for it :) It just works with it so well. I finally chose the lining fabric too so hopefully I will get to sewing it soon.

22. Sanae January 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Fantastic purse and your stitches look flawless! Jessica is a lucky gal.

23. Cherie January 11, 2013 at 1:46 am #

Hack face! Hah! I think we all know that a hack face, you are not! Beautiful job. I absolutely love all the fabrics and colors, as usual. Lucky gal, that Jessica. Now where can I get me some yarn dyed essex linen?

• kristin January 16, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

haha thanks girl! um……PORTLAND! ;)

24. Heidi January 12, 2013 at 3:04 am #

Nicely done, Kristin…love it! You’re a great friend! Cute pics, too! :)

25. dramaqueenseams January 14, 2013 at 10:45 am #

I love the shape… Very cute!

26. Caila January 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

I am so in love with this bag! And your top knot rocks.

27. johanna January 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

hi. i’m 13 years old and i’m from germany. my hobby is sewing. can you please post a free pattern of this bag. love this bag;) johanna

• kristin January 16, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

hi johanna – you can purchase the sidekick tote pattern from anna of noodlehead, and i linked to her pattern in my post. happy sewing!!

28. rosalindgracedesigns January 21, 2013 at 12:03 am #

It’s a great pattern isn’t it! I made my niece the smaller bag for her birthday! It was a hit!