polka dot geranium dress

1 Jan

happy new year!

i know a bunch of my sewing blog buddies have been doing 2012 recap / 2013 goal setting posts, and since so much happened for me with this blog in 2012 i still might do that, but right now i feel more like blogging this dress!

geranium snowflake dress

it’s Made by Rae‘s newest release, the Geranium Dress. you know how i love Rae’s patterns, and i think every time she releases a new one i say “she just keeps getting better and better” but it’s really true. i was a pattern tester for this dress and i only had nitpicky type comments for her, really; it was already a high quality pattern even before the testers got our hands on it! I think this could work as a “first pattern from pieces” dress for a beginning sewist ready to tackle buttons and pleats; it’s all explained so well.

geranium snowflake dress

this pattern is also Rae’s response to requests for a “mini washi dress (remember when i made one myself but had the big head problem?), but Rae also built this pattern to give the sewer oodles of options to make a different dress every time…check this out:

geranium dress options

three sleeve options, two skirt options, three neckline options, two length options, and pockets! the way she presents the choices isn’t confusing or overwhelming, it’s really clear and easy to follow. love that.

geranium snowflake dress

i picked faux cap sleeve with dress-length pleated skirt, side seam pockets, and notched V neckline. the bodice is 3T and the skirt is 4T (i just increased the seam allowance on the skirt a little to make it line up). i picked the options that would be the quickest to sew and the most “formal” looking, since i was on a time crunch before Em’s ballet recital but wanted her dress to feel holiday-appropriate.

geranium snowflake dress

it’s a really quick and satisfying sew, and i made it in a night! considering i started from taping the pattern together and was taking pattern test notes too, it’s seriously fast.

geranium snowflake dress

she wore this dress to her ballet Christmas program, her school Christmas program, and Christmas Eve festivities with the family, plus out and about (basically whenever it’s clean). i sewed it in a cheap black and white polka dot cotton from Joann that I also used to pattern test Rae’s pierrot tunic last fall – totally different feel on a more structured dress though, right? i love that it looks like snow.

geranium snowflake dress

i used the rest of the pink elephant buttons i first used for her japanese tea party jacket. she loves that touch of course.

geranium snowflake dress

for her “fancy occasions,” i made her a little sequined headband out of some trim that i just hand sewed together and hit with some fray check. she loves wearing headbands and other hair accessories lately, it’s always interesting what she comes down wearing. ;)

geranium snowflake dress

get your Geranium Dress pattern from Rae, and happy new year sewing!!

PS – need more Geranium inspiration? Rae posted all the pattern tester versions here, and my personal favorite is my pal Cherie’s eyelet dress. SO gorgeous!

29 Responses to “polka dot geranium dress”

1. gail January 1, 2013 at 11:55 am #

i reeeeally want to make this dress using the very same options you did – it’s just perfect! as are your photos – so beautiful! and yes, you MUST do a 2012 recap!!

2. Maureen Cracknell January 1, 2013 at 11:58 am #

It’s so sweet! And, the photos are, too!! I feel the same way — just thinking of how to write up a 2012 recap seems overwhelming. I am so super excited for 2013 and having this one last day together before the kiddos are back to school, I think I’ll be ok and ready to start 2013 by sharing something new tomorrow!

3. Meghan January 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

This is so cute!! I love the sequin headband too! A 2012 recap would be awesome, love your creations!

4. Andrea January 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

Sooooo cute! I love it!

5. Jessica January 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I just love a good Em pose picture. And that dress is perfect!

6. lucinda January 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

love the options you put together for this dress – and love it that she’s been able to wear it so much already! That’s always a sign of a successful sewing creation:)

7. anna January 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

it’s way way beautiful!!! and the perfect details you added. great pics too, they’re so lovely, a perfect moody look to them.

8. Lindsay Wilkes - The Cottage Mama January 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Oh goodness, gracious! How sweet is that? I just love the simplicity of the design and your beautiful garment construction. That fabric is just right!

9. justineabbittJustine January 1, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

What a sweet little dress. It’s like a mini Wash. Happy new year!

10. Hayley @ Cometothemousehouse.blogspot.com January 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Love it and the fabric is the perfect choice!

11. Haylee January 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Oh my goodness gracious Kristin you’ve done it again, this is beautiful!! Absolutely beautiful. The fabric, the contrasting back buttons, the cute cap sleeves, I am seriously so in love. And you made it in one night? You are seriously amazing. For real though.

12. Sanae January 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Love! The dress is absolutely beautiful and I love the neck detail. Must get my paws on that pattern – it will be a refreshing change from trying to decipher my Japanese books :-)

13. Delia January 1, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

I think I really need to buy this dress pattern! :) Great fabric choice. Simple yet stunning! The sequin headband is perfect as well!

14. tara January 2, 2013 at 5:26 am #

dang. you have a knack for breaking my willpower and selling me on patterns. dang! it is my birthweek…..
    I’m imagining Violet in a dress like this and practically melting just thinking about her. *sigh*
    btw, I’m hoping to make it to joanns today to grab a zipper for a foldover clutch. After sewing nothing for weeks, I’ve been wanting to make one

15. Erin January 2, 2013 at 6:11 am #

i love everything about these photos! the polka dots, the headband, the white/gray/blackness of it all… gorgeous. your little girl is just darling. :) This pattern is burning a hole in my inbox- kind of looking forward to preschool starting up again so i can sew one up!!!!

16. dianaramblesdotcom January 2, 2013 at 7:06 am #

Precious!

17. carolyn January 2, 2013 at 7:44 am #

Such a lovely version! And I love the pop of the little pink elephant buttons on the back! You’ve convinced me…I need to get this pattern :)

18. Jane January 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Kristin, I love it! Such a sweet little dress! you’ve done it again…made me feel like I must buy and then sew a pattern that you tested!! Thanks for always cranking out such fab stuff!

19. Jennifer Dawn January 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

This is a perfect dress! Beautiful work! I’d love for you to link this post up to my weekly link party. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-23.html

20. Running WIth Scissors January 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

so cute! Love the simplicity of the dots with the faux sleeves!

21. Andrea January 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Adorable Kristin! Love the white!

22. Ann January 3, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Love it. Nice work!

23. Laura January 3, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Such a cute dress and I love the photos. Looking forward to your 2012 round-up!

24. kim January 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

oh, I love it. This is such a sweet dress and looks so beautifully made. Glad she’s getting lots of use out of it, too!

25. Max January 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

This is so cute. I always look at patterns several times and think I SHOULD get it, but I could probably do it myself, but then more and more keep getting blogged about and it almost seems fashionable to get the pattern! haha. PEER PRESSURE. I’m sure I’ll get the pattern soon!

Em is so elegant!

26. nestedinstitches January 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

Such a great dress! I definitely need to get this pattern, especially if it’s a quick sew. Happy New Year to you, hope to catch up with you soon! :)

27. Cindy January 5, 2013 at 9:10 am #

The dress is lovely!

28. BABETTE Blog February 13, 2013 at 1:53 am #

I love polka dot patterns..Especially this one was stunning..

29. Pabitra March 13, 2013 at 5:57 am #