feather pillow for a sewing friend

19 Dec

sorry guys, another quilted pillow.  last one for a while (maybe?  maybe not?  they’re just too fun!).

feather pillow

this one was for my sewing buddy, Caila.  the girl is a ray of sunshine, i knew she was working on decorating her house, and i had so much fun making this pillow for her!

feather pillow

i met Caila once when she was in town, and we had a fun lunch talkin’ blog stuff, sewing stuff, kid stuff, Portland stuff…you know, the usual.  i also got to meet her littlest adorable towhead Stryder – such a cutie pie!  it was actually right around the time i discovered Caila’s blog in the first place, but i saw right away that she has a really bright, happy, colorful style.  i also trolled her pinterest boards to find some specific fabrics that she might like to see in the pillow.  pinterest is so helpful for gift-giving!

feather pillow

i pieced the feathers out of my most color-saturated scraps and fat quarters using anna maria horner’s (free) feather bed quilt pattern.   this is actually one quilt block and it turned out to be perfect pillow size, though i kinda wish i’d narrowed the white space between the two just a bit and added a little to the outsides to bring them together.    they were super fun to make though – i really enjoyed picking out the fabrics and learning the piecing method, which is different than anything i’ve done before and very satisfying.  i even have a few extra feather sides for possible future pillows!

feather pillow

the back is AMH and a kona solid and it closes with a zipper.  this project is an amazing fat quarter / scrap user upper.

recommend!

so i’m sewing a bunch of gifts for Christmas and realizing that i’m not going to get to blog some of them!  one already went in the mail without being photographed (maybe i can talk the recipient into snapping a few pics), and i’m making some teacher gifts that i doubt will see the light of day (LITERALLY) before i give them away.  this annoys me – sometimes it feels like a project isn’t “done” until it’s blogged.  anyone else weird like that?  guess i should’ve started sooner, eh?

11 Responses to “feather pillow for a sewing friend”

1. Pillows A-La-Mode December 19, 2012 at 5:52 am #

LOVE!!! :)

2. Vanessa@DesignsBySessa December 19, 2012 at 6:08 am #

OH my Gosh! She will LOVE that!!!! I love my Caila girl, too! It’s perfect for her!

3. carolyn December 19, 2012 at 7:45 am #

I love the thought that you put into this by scouring her pinterest page! You rock! And that is such a beautiful pillow!

4. Valerie {all mussed up} December 19, 2012 at 8:26 am #

No apologies! I love the quilted pillow roll you’re on — keep ‘em coming! (:

5. Carrie D. December 19, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Oh I’m obsessed with this feather pattern! Love it!

6. Jessica December 19, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Hey, make no apologies for quilted pillows. Especially this one :)

7. Cindy December 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

The pillow is a wonderful gift! I love the bright colors you used for the feathers. And yep, I hear you on the not feeling like a project is finished until pictures have been taken and it’s been blogged. I feel the same!

8. Sunae December 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

I love this pillow so much! Props to you for doing quilted pillows! Quilting is something I’ve always wanted to try but to be honest, I’m a little terrified of it! Maybe something beautiful and bright like this is exactly the inspiration I need :)

9. Cherie December 20, 2012 at 12:04 am #

I love love love it. And I want one. Hint hint.

10. gail December 20, 2012 at 8:00 am #

it’s a beauty! lucky caila :)

11. Jane December 20, 2012 at 10:45 am #

I love this pillow…and I love things that use up my scraps!! I might need to try this one! :)