swoon block mini quilt

27 Nov

back in August, i asked for your advice on what to do with my “practice” swoon quilt block (pattern here). i got some really great suggestions (thanks guys!) and then….i sat on those suggestions! ha! i kind of liked having the block hanging up in my sewing room as it was, i didn’t have time to work on it, and it kept growing on me the longer it was hanging there. during that time, i decided a mini quilt for our bedroom wall would definitely be the way to go (once i was finally ready to finish it).

swoon mini quilt

then sometime in late September, Robin pulled together a sewing night at Modern Domestic with a still-pregnant Gail, so i quickly added a small border of kona snow around the outside to frame it, then basted it. once at MD, i took full advantage of the fancy pants Bernina machines (and the advice of my friends) to turn my swoon block into a mini quilt! oh man, big mistake sewing on one of those. suddenly my modest Brother machine, which has treated me well since i started sewing 3.5 years ago, felt like a hunk of garbage (what’s the phrase? “new hotness versus old brokeness?”). the Bernina quilted like a hot knife through butter, and i can’t get it out of my mind since.

swoon mini quilt

i have a savings fund going.

swoon mini quilt

anyway, you can see my quilting pattern a bit better on the back – i pretty much just outlined the star and kept the quilting minimal to let the design stand out. the backing is black yarn dyed essex linen. the binding is kona olive, of course, hand-finished. i think if i could make every project with yarn dyed black and kona olive, i would.

swoon mini quiltswoon mini quilt

it hangs supported by a dowel. i added pockets to the upper corners and sewed a little thread loop in the center (next time i think i’d do a fabric loop instead).

swoon mini quilt
now that the space is complete, i might pull together a little tour. you’ve seen bits and pieces but it might be fun to see the whole room, right? my bud Jessica sent me an awesome birthday surprise, too, which really ties the room together and will make an appearance when i show the rest of it! maybe later this week?

PS – i’m “skirtastop.com” now! kind of exciting. that’s another project that was procrastinated on – my husband bought me the domain name for Mother’s Day and we finally made the switch! i feel so grown up now! no need to update your feeds; the redirect should happen automatically…hopefully.  :)

34 Responses to “swoon block mini quilt”

1. Valerie {all mussed up} November 27, 2012 at 6:41 am #

The colours are SO lovely together….you have a great eye!

2. anna November 27, 2012 at 8:13 am #

it’s so pretty! I’m glad you got it finished up and hung (even though you might have gotten sucked in by that fancy machine). :)

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Thanks Anna…oh geez I’m so sucked in!

3. Andrea November 27, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I. LOVE. THIS. It is so perfect for your home. Beautiful work. :)

4. gail November 27, 2012 at 9:20 am #

it sure did come out pretty!! i love the quilting and the olive binding. and hooray for skirtastop.com!!!

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks – pretty nice all hung up! Thanks for the help with the decision-making, it sure was fun sewing together!

5. stirandstitch November 27, 2012 at 9:41 am #

i love the idea of a smaller quilt as wall-art. well done (and thanks for the inspiration)!

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

I want to put them all over the house now!

6. Amanda November 27, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Beautiful! Sometimes I forget how nice one quilt block can look alone! Thanks for sharing!

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Especially an elaborate block like this, eh? I was surprised when I made it how big it was, so it works as a wall hanging pretty nicely.

7. Rachel November 27, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I’m so impressed, I’ve never done quilting like this yet, hope to get more into quilting in the future though… I really like the gray backing ~ I’m so into gray lately, so many of my recent sewing projects have had gray :)

8. Jessica November 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Amish chic all up in your sleepy face every day. It’s perfect. Someday I will swoon again…sooooooooomeday.

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Toooootally. This is what I see when I fall asleep and when I wake up! Quilty swoony sleepy goodness.

9. kim November 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Yes, do a room tour! I haven’t been over in a while and would love to see the set-up. This quilt square is beautiful, by the way, I really love how it came together. The design and colors are just lovely. oh, and I’m glad that at least one of your friends remembered your birthday… boo, me! sorry! :(

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Will do! Oh and do not worry about it at all…remember that time my cat died and I cried in your hottub on your birthday? Yeah that was the worst. ;)

• kim November 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I will always remember that time! ;) Cat death, grandma death… good excuses all around. Love you!

10. Running WIth Scissors November 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

congrats on the new domain! I actually bought one and am having such a frustrating time with the process! Especially because I’m going from blogger and bought it from google so it should have been easy to change (I thought!)

Changing my feed!

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Thanks gal! Good luck with yours…

11. carolyn November 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Yes, we definitely want a whole room tour! Such a beautiful quilt and I love the little pockets on the corner that allow you to hang it up. Ingenious! And congrats on your new domain name…the best part about it is how supportive your husband is of your endeavors. He must be one swell fellow :)

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

He is a pretty well fellow. However this comment reminds me about how swell YOUR fellow is to take photos in overalls on your blog – still my fave ever.

12. nestedinstitches November 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

bwa ha ha ha haaaa… :) glad to be an enabler!

the mini quilt is gorgeous! quilt blocks make such lovely wall hangings, don’t they? i think i need to make me some, too. what happened to the dark gray wall?

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

CURSE YOU!!! :) it’s just one wall in the room – you’ll see in the tour!

13. Darci November 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I like how you quilted it.nice! I really do need to bite the bullet and start swooning, even if I only make one block ;)

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

thanks! they do take a long time to make, not sure how people do full quilts! yeesh!

14. Maureen Cracknell Handmade November 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

It’s gorgeous!! You really do have the best taste! And, congrats on your .com — I still haven’t done that!

• kristin November 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Awww thanks Maureen. You’re the sweetest. :)

15. Andrea November 27, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

I do love that color combo. I can’t wait to see you make everything in it.

16. Erin November 28, 2012 at 7:54 am #

Look at you…. Gettin’ all quilty these days. :). I love your color combo…. The peachy-pink is perfect. You are über-talented, girl!

17. rachel November 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

this is so awesome! i love it! wanna know something weird? last night, i had a dream that i met you. my family and i were out of town for a week for thanksgiving. as i was catching up on my google reader, i read about you and gail getting together and i was thinking of how awesome that would be. i don’t have anyone like that in my life! what a gift for you two!

18. Delia December 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

So pretty Kristin! I have never had the desire to quilt but seeing you and Jessica do it, is warming me up to the idea.

19. Tea Rose Home December 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Very pretty! I love the colors you chose for the block. Thank you for linking to my party!