little gifts given

21 Nov

my friend Gail (from the lovely blog probably actually) recently had a baby boy!  and man is he cuuuuute!  his name is Oscar and the kids and i got to go visit him recently.  and what does one do when one is visiting a sewing friend with a new baby?  she sews gifts of course!

i first made a big sister gift for Lila, because my mom was great about doing that when anyone we knew had a baby.  always a good idea to make the older sibling feel special too.

big sister shirt

it’s a flashback skinny tee in a 3T.  i used old navy clearance shirts, as usual, and preserved the factory hems.  i used purple for the body since i know i’ve seen Lila in purple quite a bit, and a soft floral rib knit for the sleeves and neckline.  contrast sleeves seems to be a trend now and i think it’s a fun one.  i added a little heart patch to the bottom for an extra special touch.

then i made some pants for baby Oscar:

newborn pants

the pattern is Rae’s free newborn pants pattern.  i did contrast bindings on both for kicks.  i added 1″ to the pants on the left, because i remember these being pretty roomy when i made them for O and figured they’d last Oscar a couple months if they just had a bit of extra length.

heather ross pants

this pair may look familiar!  heather ross clothes on the line from far far away II.  this time i added aviary woodgrain bindings.  i love snuggling with O when he wears his pajamas in this fabric, so i figured Gail and her husband would enjoy it too.  and i know she likes woodgrain.

hedgehog pants

this pair may look familiar too!  i figured there couldn’t be anything more fun than to make pants for the little guy to look like his big sis.  and when i took these gifts over to them, Lila was wearing this skirt her mom made in the same gray corduroy!  fancy that.

IMG_3621

i had hoped that Gail would get a kick out of a mini version of her hedgehog pants, and she totally did.  it was a fun reaction.  :)

for mama, i brought a trio of vintage sheet fat quarters from my stash and a spool of metallic gold thread.  i love sewing with metallic thread, it adds a special touch to topstitching.  figured she could make use of these when she’s back in sewing action.

vintage sheets and pretty thread

for dad?  well i didn’t sew him anything, but i did make the family some chicken tortilla soup adapted from this recipe (i added cayenne pepper for a bit of a kick).  i brought some sour cream so they didn’t necessarily need to go for a grocery run, but apparently Lila ate it all up!  good work, Lila.

happy little presents for a happy little family.  oh and when Gail said Oscar has “the sweetest newborn smell you could ever imagine,” she wasn’t kidding!  he’s really wonderful.  i only got one picture during our visit, though!  right as i was taking it, O said “he’s soft!”  which is absolutely accurate.  Lila is a loving big sis, too.

IMG_9989

i might check in tomorrow but if i don’t, have a great thanksgiving!

16 Responses to “little gifts given”

1. Lucinda November 21, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Oh, what sweet and thoughtful gifts! You are a good friend:) I’m sure Gail loved every last one. Love them all, esp. those darling corduroy pants with hedgehog applique – how perfect!

2. Andrea November 21, 2012 at 6:38 am #

The hedgehog cracked me up! Congratulations, Gail and family! He’s beautiful! Awesome gifts, Kristin! :)

3. carolyn November 21, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Those are incredibly thoughtful gifts! I love that you included the little hedgehog on the pants. Gail must have loved that touch! And I definitely need to get some metallic thread…every time I see you sew with some I think “I need to get some of that!” Um, and I’m obsessed with fluffy baby hair recently and little Oscar definitely has some of the cutest fluffy baby hair that I’ve seen in a while. Is it wrong that I want to pet him?

• kristin November 24, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Thanks Carolyn! He’s totally pettable. They do have that metallic Gutermann at Joann…just sayin….

4. Jessica @ Running With Scissors November 21, 2012 at 10:49 am #

whoa friend of the year! Those hedgehog pants are to die for! What a great ensemble and cute little guy. Glad Gail and baby are doing well.

5. Ash P November 21, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Your gifts are too cute and so thoughtful!!! Totally cute!!! I am amazed at your sewing skills you just astound me with all your projects! Great job on the gifts :)

6. gail November 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

oh kristin, thank you!! gifts for all of us was above and beyond! i have to say i was blown away by the hedgehog pants, i’d been thinking making him a tiny pair myself, but really glad you did instead!! lila is wearing her shirt right now, yet again…for the fifth time :). and the soup was divine. AND i can’t wait to sew with that solid gold thread!! you’re totally the best.

• kristin November 24, 2012 at 12:18 am #

aw yay, glad i could take something off your to do list. and SO glad lila likes the shirt! haha hope it holds up! thanks for being a great friend, girl! :D

7. girllikethesea November 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Awesome gifts! Very sweet of you to think of everyone with sewn/sewing gifts and food. I love that you used her own design in the pants. Lol!

8. jessica November 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Love Lila’s shirt! You are the bestest. I’m totally mad that you didn’t do all this for me when I had Elsie a year and half ago. Boooooooooo.

• kristin November 24, 2012 at 12:21 am #

booooooo me indeed. why didn’t you do this for me when I had Em 4.5 years ago???

9. Max November 21, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

he is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute

10. Laura November 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

I’m also slightly addicted to topstitching with metallic thread. What wonderful, thoughtful gifts you brought for the whole family. I absolutely love the hedgehog pants to match Lila’s. How lovely for you to be able to meet Oscar too, he’s adorable.

11. Delia November 24, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

Such thoughtful, lovely gifts Kristin! You are a wonderful friend. I’ll have to pick up some gold thread soon!

12. Stef November 25, 2012 at 9:09 am #

This is just too much! You are wonderwoman – so sweet! I love it all, but especially how much thought you put into each thing. I think maybe only another seamstress could appreciate it all. You’re amazing, Kristin! and Congratulations, Gail!

13. Haylee November 28, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

No way, that floral fabric for your mom is the same exact fabric that my Grandma had a quilt made of! So cool. Well more for me than you, ha but at least I can confirm for you that it is indeed vintage. :) Also that hedghog, Oh.my.gosh so cute! You are a mastermind, I’m serious.