procrastination project: field trip raglan tee

26 Oct

sometimes (a lot of the time) i’m a terrible procrastinator. as i write this post, i should be finishing Em’s costume so I can move on to her flower girl dress. i should’ve also been making her costume when i sewed this raglan tee:

field trip raglan

sometimes when you’re knee deep in pink fleece making a top/pant/hood/trunk combo, you just need a twenty minute break to sew something super easy, you know? this field trip raglan, which i had cut out during KCWC just in case i needed to deliver a death blow to my friend Rae over there (haha), was just the ticket.

field trip raglan

it’s size 18-24 months, made with cream super soft organic bamboo jersey something-or-other that i found in the remnant bin at josephine’s dry goods, and a maroon men’s t-shirt i got at Target for $5.

IMG_3351

i left the bottom hem raw, and used the existing neck ribbing and sleeve bindings. no hemming on this shirt, and it was all sewn on the serger except reinforcing the bottom side seams, quick quick quick. helped that i’ve already made it once before!

field trip raglan

(his sister took a field trip to the fire station this week; he has commandeered the hat)

so yeah, nothing fancy or groundbreaking, but the boy needs some long sleeved shirts heading into fall, and quick/easy finishes make me very happy. i’m falling hard for this pattern; want to make more ASAP!!

okay i’d better go finish that darn pink elephant now…have a happy weekend!

11 Responses to “procrastination project: field trip raglan tee”

1. kim October 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

I’ve been a lazy commenter lately, but am loving all the skirtastop posts and creations this month! This shirt is my kind of shirt: comfy, cute, classic. Are you serious that it only took you 20 minutes to churn this baby out? C’mon, already! Quit the day job and OPEN AN ETSY SHOP!! :)

• kristin October 27, 2012 at 7:26 am #

haha thanks girl. if it were only that easy! ;)

2. Cindy October 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Love the top! Quick and easy is an excellent way to take a break from pink fleece.;)

3. Tracy King October 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

This post made me laugh so hard. I was like what? Two days ago I made my daughter a raglan tee instead of sewing a Halloween costume for my other daughter 😃. I guess those of us who procrastinate think alike.

• kristin October 27, 2012 at 7:27 am #

really?! that’s hilarious! raglastinators? is that what we are? :)

4. Carla October 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

I am totally addicted to the raglan, and I feel you on Halloween procrastination, mine has gotten so bad that I have edited the sewing to a bare minimum. Good luck with the pink elephant, I’m sure it will be fab!

• kristin October 27, 2012 at 7:28 am #

poor O isn’t getting the tigger costume i’m sure he’d prefer – he’s going to be mr. fox – so i’m only making one too. but it’s been a bit of a challenge to get it right, for sure! good luck with yours!

5. gail October 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

aw that’s the cutest little shirt! i think i need to gt my hands on that pattern. can’t wait to see little miss pink elephant in action!!

6. Cherie October 28, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Ooooh, it’s awesome and looks really comfy. I love quick and easy sews like this. I’ve only been using my serger to finish edges – I remember reading about not using it for construction seams during Rae’s knit series, but I know that people definitely do it. Do your shirts stay together? I want to try it to speed things up a little, but I don’t want the shortcut to end up unraveling and costing me time, ya know?

• kristin October 30, 2012 at 11:49 am #

i think it’s a matter of personal preference, but i definitely use my serger for seam construction on knits and they don’t come apart (they just stretch…like they’re supposed to). to me they seem more secure than a narrow zigzag; i had to redo the neckband on my niece’s FBST that i sewed that way. however, after i serge i do run a few stitches with the sewing machine at the hems to secure the serged seams; otherwise they pull apart. i talked about that a bit in my kniterview companion post here: https://skirtastop.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/ive-been-kniterviewed/

7. KerryQ October 30, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I can totally relate! I’ve been down to the wire this year (still have a cloak to make, etc.) and suddenly I needed to make a Halloween table runner. Next year, my kids need to decide their costumes in July!