kcwc fall 2012: day 3:: far far away pjs

11 Oct

sew off challenge: Heather Ross Pajama Pants

far far away pjs

it’s becoming tradition for me to sew pajama pants for this kid during KCWC.  i sewed polka dot flannel ones last fall, and fox ones last spring.  since both were big on him when i made them, they actually still fit and are in regular rotation!  i figured why not add another pair to the mix?

far far away pjs

the pattern is the oliver + s bedtime story pajamas, which is now available digitally!  it’s a fantastic and quick beginner pattern.  i made them in the 18-24 month size in a little under an hour (actually stuck to the time frame this time!).

far far away pjs

i have a funny relationship with my “special” fabric.  i love having it, but i struggle with using it.  frankly sometimes it’s just easier to give it away to a friend, then it doesn’t weigh on me!  kinda weird, eh?

far far away pjs

this sew off challenge was great in that it got me to use some of this far far away ii clothes on the line fabric that i’ve had squirreled away for while.  it’s AMAZING stuff.  it’s a cotton-linen blend, but very lightweight.  it’s the kind of fabric you want your kids to wear all the time because it’s so dang soft and perfect.

far far away pjs

the bindings are also far far away ii, golden moons.  it’s a heavier linen that i first used for his bucket hat (and hey, her bucket hat was heather ross too – i guess i use it more than i think!).  i kinda love that neither of the prints here are overtly “boy,” but they still look great together and on him.

obligatory pajama pants taped to wall photo:

far far away pjs

and kid being cute photo:

far far away pjs

there’s the clincher right there.  when he’s tired, he sucks his thumb and rubs his feet together.  i can’t stop snuggling him!!

far far away pjs

just two more challenges left, then i’ll likely collapse from exhaustion.  Rae is one tough competitor!  check out her adorable nursery versery pj pants and little C roaring like a lion – what a cutie pie.  i need to track down some nursery versery, stat!

26 Responses to “kcwc fall 2012: day 3:: far far away pjs”

1. thecraftykitty October 11, 2012 at 2:21 am #

These PJs are gorgeous. I love the prints, and your little one is adorable!

2. Justine October 11, 2012 at 3:17 am #

Very cute! (pants and kid :) )

3. Laura October 11, 2012 at 3:23 am #

ha, I have the same relationship with my ‘special’ fabric, silly isn’t it! these pj pants are gorgeous!

4. Jane October 11, 2012 at 4:41 am #

Kristin, I have that same Heather Ross fabric hanging here in my guest/office/sewing room on an old ladder, because it looks so pretty and i love to look at it! And, because of you and Rae ;) I’ve been thinking about making pjs out of it all week ;) And then Rachael (imagine gnats) was chatting about using some nursery versery pj pants for herself earlier this week…and so, well, I wasn’t compelled to use a LOT I did cut into my heather ross snow white…so, it’s a start I guess :) Anyway, adorable pants!!! And of course adorable pics!

• kristin October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am #

ooooo! do it!! really it’s so much better when the kid’s wearing it and you get to hold them and see it in action! mine was on a shelf, not even inspiring me by hanging up like yours is. anyway, i’m excited to see whatever you end up making!

5. Cindy October 11, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Awww…those are the sweetest pictures! Great pj pants!

6. nestedinstitches October 11, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Cute! He does look really snuggly… :) I have a bunch of HR that I’ve yet to cut into. Did you see she has a new book where she made a bunch of her prints available digitally?

• kristin October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am #

I did see that! It’s going on my birthday/Christmas list.

7. Andrea October 11, 2012 at 8:25 am #

So coooozzzzyyyy! They make me want to crawl back into bed right now. :)

8. Rae October 11, 2012 at 8:43 am #

This is so cute, I can’t even stand it. That first pic?? Kills me. And the thumb!!!

The moons on the bottom as trim are absolutely perfect. And I have 2 yards of this print squirreled away as well. hah!

• kristin October 11, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Aw thanks, girl!! I’m down to small scraps of the moons; I can never buy more than a yard of this stuff but luckily these pjs took quite a bit less than that! Your HR stash is totally enviable.

9. Christephi October 11, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Adorable pjs! Adorable boy! Snuggle him all you can for they grow up way too fast! :-) And three cheers for quick and easy patterns!

• kristin October 11, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Thanks!! Oh I know, I think that every day! I’m enjoying it while I can for sure.

10. Emily October 11, 2012 at 10:33 am #

He’s so cute!! Love the pictures and jammies. Did you make his top too? I have the same problem with special fabric.

• kristin October 11, 2012 at 11:39 am #

thank you! no, his shirt is from american apparel. bought it for his sister back before i could sew that type of thing, and i’m sure i grumbled about it because you pay so much there for such simple styles, but no one else sells basic color shirts without SOMETHING on them. anyway, at least it’s getting worn by a second kid. ;)

11. Jess October 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

yeah that thumb sucking picture just sends the cuteness factor over the moon! (har har) I need to get me some Heather Ross anything-stat!

12. Laura October 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

So adorable, love that pattern and love it even more in that fabric. I picked up a rare paper copy of the bigger size today at a sewing show. I know you can download it but I prefer the paper one. If you’ve got any more special fabric weighing you down I can take it off your hands if it’ll make you feel better ;) You should definitely make more stuff with it though. This sew-off is getting pretty hard to call by the way. You two should set up a voting system at the end.

13. Brooke October 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Ok he is too cute! I think his cuteness gave you an edge on this challenge! And love the laundry line used as pj pants- I too have such a hard time using prized fabrics, but now that I see how cute yours are, I may need to make more pjs from special fabrics!

14. gail October 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

oh, those are the cutest!!! great photos, too. HR and O+S are always a winning combo in my opinion. i do like your “special fabric” policy though…especially since I’ve been on the receiving end :)

• trinh October 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Supercute. I have that same fabric. It’s just been hanging out for a year now.

15. Darci October 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Yeah, next time you find yourself with Heather Ross that you need to give away, drop me a line

16. Cherie October 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

I love these pants so much. So so much. I wish I could have them. It’s a close call, but you won this round for me :)

17. sewchibi October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am #

First: the pants and fabric are a-adorable! I am loving the vintage clothes line print! I too make pjs for the whole family but at xmas time.
    Second: I feel you on the “special” fabric thing. I have quite the stash of nervous to cut in to fabrics! We should do a switch and make sometime! Ha!

I am envious of that perfect fit on those little jammies! Can’t wait to see you what you have up your sleeve for his Halloween costume!!

18. Danielle October 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Ugh. I’m totally the same with special fabric. Its ridiculous!! Good job for taking the plunge. Now you have adorable jammies right?