film petit: mon petite amélie

16 Aug

it’s film petit time, and this month’s film is one that’s been a favorite of mine for many many years (we even had the soundtrack playing at our wedding reception in 2004).  it’s…Amélie!

petite amelie

officially titled “Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain,” Amélie (affiliate link) is a 2001 French film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet about a little girl that grew up within her own imagination.  she was a lonely child and a lonely adult too, until one day she is struck by the urge to become a “do gooder” and surprise others with small acts of kindness and love.  her shenanigans include stealing her father’s garden gnome and sending it around the world, guiding and describing the street scene to a blind man, and setting up two lonely hearts looking for love at her workplace.

petite amelie

as she does these good deeds for others, she chances upon a young man named Nino.  Nino is on his own quest to find an elusive mystery man as he reassembles discarded photo booth photos for his collection, and Amélie quickly falls in love…but she knows the way to get his attention is through the photo booth.

petite amelie

so she goes to a photo booth and takes photos of herself…

petite amelie

…and directs Nino to meet her…

petite amelie

…knowing that when they finally do meet, they will fall deeply in love and be together forever.

petite amelie

in the meantime, playing the game is just as fun…

petite amelie

i knew i wanted to sew Amélie herself.  as i watched the movie for the first time in years, i kept a notepad near me and sketched out my inspiration for what to sew for Em.  i noticed a few things about Amélie’s wardrobe (played by the lovely Audrey Tatou):

petite amelie

as i put these ideas together, i noticed that the design that emerged reminded me of the darling ranges dress (adult pattern) by megan nielsen!  i went with that inspiration.  mine is a mini version, with short sleeves and fewer buttons.

petite amelie

the button down front comes to a v at the neck (i drafted facings, a feat i’m geekily proud of – this pattern has eight different pieces!).  i stitched the facings down by hand for an invisible finish.  the sleeves puff slightly at the shoulder, and i made it in a red with white polka dot cotton (moda essential dot) to stick with her mostly-red color theme.  it closes with five white buttons.

petite amelie

the bodice attaches to a gathered skirt and has shirring in the back to add some shape while remaining very comfortable for my little gal.  i owe my newfound knowledge of facings and shirring to the washi dress, so it was fun to apply those techniques to create this pattern of my own.

petite amelie

Petite Amélie LOVES her red polka dotted dress, and sets out to make the world a better place…

petite amelie

…one traveling garden gnome at a time!  now scamper on over to probably actually to check out Gail’s gorgeous gnome dress!  i LOVE that she was inspired by the gnome.  the dress she made is amazing, you’ve got to see all the lovely details.  Amélie was impressed!

petite amelie and gnome

and to find out if Petite Amélie’s photo booth charms worked on Little Nino…head over to a little gray for some amazing sewing and a little bit of trickery!  Jessica had a genius collaboration idea with this one; you really don’t want to miss it!

petite amelie

it was SO fun planning this month’s post with both my co-host Jessica and Film Petit guest Gail - how great to have three people watch the same movie and be inspired by different parts of it!  thanks ladies, this was such a blast!

***

here are the guidelines for film petit:

• every month or so, Jessica and i (plus a guest blogger) will sew an outfit (or outfits) for our kid (or kids) inspired by a movie we love.
  • if you’d like to play along, please feel free to add any movie-inspired sewing to the film petit flickr group.  if you sew along with our film petit choices, we’d love to see that too.  we’re close to doing a round up, so keep ‘em coming!
  • if we really like your stuff, we may ask you to join us for a future film!
  • this is a pretty relaxed series, really the only rule is to make outfits for kids based on films you love. if you have any questions, please let either of us know.
film petit button for your blog

PS – i took the indoor photos in the Ace Hotel lobby where there is a functioning vintage photo booth (!!), and the outdoor photos at Cool Cottons, a wonderful local fabric shop you should definitely visit if you have the chance.

PPS – Cherie from you & mie will be joining us in september!

45 Responses to “film petit: mon petite amélie”

1. Anie August 16, 2012 at 5:49 am #

I am a great fan of Amélie and the dress absolutely captured the right spirit. Great job!

2. Rachel August 16, 2012 at 6:10 am #

Well, this sure put a smile on my face this morning. I remember watching this movie at a theatre in Paris in 2001… isn’t it a great movie !?! So unique, I love the whole thing her random acts of kindness, with the traveling gnome & the mystery of the photo booth/guy.
    Et ta petite Amélie est adorable avec sa robe rouge :)

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Oh thanks, Rachel! Such a great movie though I hadn’t seen it since having kids and the beginning of it kind of made me melancholy! Anyway though, still great et merci for your French comment! Now I’m legit. ;)

3. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy August 16, 2012 at 6:40 am #

I truly love this Series Kristin. I hope you keep it going! It is so much fun to see what you and Jessica come up with, and you choose such fantastic movies! Amelie is wonderfully inspirational. Well done!!!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

thanks jessica! we have SO many ideas. SO many. it’s fun, and we’re definitely going to keep it going for a while.

4. gail August 16, 2012 at 7:22 am #

your photos are amazing! this is so much fun, and that dress is très Amélie! and your own pattern! we all knew it already, but you’re so good :)

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

thanks, girl!! thanks so much for being our first guest, your dress is perfection!

5. Chelise Patterson August 16, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Perfect, perfect red polka dot dress! Love it!

6. jessica August 16, 2012 at 7:36 am #

oooooh teach me about facings Kristin! This is so fun, your whole story is great. I can’t wait til we can get our little love birds together one day!!!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

i’m thinking i may do a tutorial down the road. so…there. and yes, we will bring them together at some point! perhaps in the middle, like nebraska?

7. Martha August 16, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Wonderful job! Love this series, so much fun to see all the amazing creativity:)

8. sarvivox August 16, 2012 at 7:47 am #

These all came out so great — I love the idea of the coordinating/themed outfits for kids in different cities, fantastic!

9. Jessica @ Running With Scissors August 16, 2012 at 8:37 am #

ohhh! love this series when it pops up and I need to see that movie. I’m kind of surprised I never have. One of my best friends actually named her daughter Amelie. Love photobooths too! Great dress and photoshoot!
    Off to check out the others

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

Oh yes, I bet you’d love it! Good one to watch this weekend. Thanks Jess!

10. sewchibi August 16, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Oh. My. GOD!! Absolutely one of my favorite movies!!! No lie!! Totally gonna try to sew along this time!!!
    So cute! The photoshot looks amazing kristen!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Oh thanks, Kat!! I’m sure I’ll be blown away by yours, whatever you do!

11. Lucinda August 16, 2012 at 9:27 am #

What a great movie to choose as your inspiration! Love your little Amelie’s red dotted dress. And kudos on figuring out the facing drafting and shirting! This sewing series is so unique – love it!

12. Emily August 16, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Oh it’s perfect!! Great job with the facings too! Those v necks are still perplexing to me. :) So we had the soundtrack at our wedding too and I was just playing these songs the other day!!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Reception music twins! I played the soundtrack while I was sewing and while we headed to do our photoshoots, too. Em liked listening to the “Ahbellie” music.

13. Jane August 16, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Love this!!! :) This makes me want to go watch that movie again right now!!! It’s been years since I’ve seen it!! But i have it somewhere, i’ll have to fish it out….great job.

14. Cherie August 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

So beautiful, Kristin! I feel a very strong connection to this movie too – and the soundtrack, for sure – and you’ve done a phenomenal job staying true to the movie’s spirit. LOVE the photos and the dress is adorable! Nice job producing your own pattern with facing and everything! It looks very professional. Pattern making in your near future?? ;) Anyways, I love it all – fantastic job – can’t wait to see what you come up with next time!!!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks, Cherie! Someday when I know how to scale patterns maybe…next month will be fantastic, can’t wait for you to join us!

15. anna August 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

amazing!!! i love all the details you added and used your newfound techniques. :)

16. Cuckoo Chanel August 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

This post is so sweet I could cry. I adore the film “Amélie”, and am intrigued by your film petit series. What wonderful creativity. I haven’t yet sewn for the abundant number of little girls in my world, but this may be the inspiration I needed. I’ll definitely check out your Flickr group.

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Oh thank you so much! :)

17. Devon August 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

This is awesome! Keep up the great work!

18. Tara Faul August 17, 2012 at 2:44 am #

so cute! I love it!

19. Mie August 17, 2012 at 7:58 am #

Love the movie, love your dress and love the post! Well done!

20. Rae August 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

ooh I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amelie. Such a sweet movie. And such a sweet re-enactment here, including v. adorbsible dress!!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

thanks rae! glad you abbreviated “very;” that comment was getting a bit verbose… ;)

21. carolyn August 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

I love that you got a picture of them together in their “Amelie” dresses! Too much adorableness in one place!

• kristin August 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Oh yes, in red and green they were the perfect pair! And did you know the director would use a spot of blue in most scenes, too? If you can see O in there, he was that spot of blue in his Zissou shorts. :D

• Danielle August 24, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Oh I think I remember reading that too about the colors.

22. Shannon August 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Love your interpretation. Just lovey!

23. kate August 18, 2012 at 10:30 am #

adorable dress and the model is working the camera again, as usual! that girl!

• kristin August 21, 2012 at 10:29 am #

haha, oh i know. she’s a poser. :)

24. MaryMargaret August 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Oh, how charming and fun!

25. Samantha August 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

I’m in love! Great film, great dress! I hope there will be a tutorial to come.

• kristin August 21, 2012 at 10:29 am #

i’m planning on it! glad to hear there’s an interest!

26. kim August 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

You are killing me! This is one of the funnest (most fun, whatever) photoshoots I’ve ever seen on a blog. Love it, love it, love it. Great movie choice, great dress, great sewing. I am seriously so impressed!

• kristin August 21, 2012 at 10:30 am #

thanks so much, kim!!! had a lot fun with this one; i didn’t even realize how perfect the Ace Hotel would be (i just knew they had a photobooth).

27. delia August 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

ahhh! This is so pretty! You are amazing. I love that you guys are doing this.

28. Andrea August 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

LOVE this! You’re so fun!

29. Danielle August 24, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Oh I love Amalie! That’s so cool you had the soundtrack playing at your wedding. I think you totally nailed the look plus it’s such a cute practical dress for school and such. I’m impressed with your facing ability. And these pictures are just perfect! Wow as usual!

30. Lis January 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Love, Love, Love this movie! So much that I wanted to name my daughter Amelie, but alas, my husband won out in the end. Lovely job recapping the movie, and on your sweet Petite Amelie’s dress!