KCWC spring 2012: day 2:: stripey sailboat top

25 Apr

IMG_0524

a couple of my goals this week are to sew for both my son and my daughter, and to use both new and familiar patterns.  yesterday’s was for her and new, so this is for him and familiar.  it’s also a good layering piece, since our springtimes tend to be sunny and 75 one day, and rainy and 50 the next.  gotta layer up.

IMG_0531

the pattern is the oliver + s sailboat top, in 2T (his 12-18 month one is getting too small, and the 18-24 month measurements didn’t look much bigger).  i REALLY love this pattern.  the fabric is a men’s sweater from old navy in kind of an interesting vintage-y sweatshirt knit material.  it actually frays a bit, so i serged everything on the inside.  i applied interfacing under the buttonholes as instructed, and otherwise just sewed it with a longer straight stitch, since it’s a loose-fitting top with a neck opening that doesn’t need to stretch.  this top works really great with a heavier interlock type knit, IMHO.

IMG_0503

after seeing jessica’s awesome yellow topstitching for her winning PR&P design this week, i decided to go nuts and add yellow topstitching and buttonholes, with minty green buttons.  it’s not a color combo i’ve used before, but i LOVE it on him!  it feels both neutral and fun.

IMG_0508

the top is too big and the sleeves are way too long, but that’s what he grew out of first on his first sailboat top, so i left them.  this kid grows really fast and the wide hems actually look pretty cute cuffed up, especially while he’s doing mischievous boyish things like trying to squeeze himself behind the fireplace screen…such a toddler now!

IMG_0519

up tomorrow – a new pattern for her!

29 Responses to “KCWC spring 2012: day 2:: stripey sailboat top”

1. Cirque Du Bebe April 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Just perfect. It is such a winner boy pattern isn’t it? Love your version, the stripes, the grey…and the yellow!

2. Susie April 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Wahoo! I went to the flickr pool to search for this and they were the first three photos I saw–the smiley boy being the first one :). Nice work.

3. Liesl April 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

This is wonderful! I’m impressed.

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks, Liesl! So glad you released this as an e-pattern so people can keep making it. Such a good one.

4. MadeByYoursTruly April 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

You’re right to have done the yellow buttonholes – looks great!

5. I'm Feelin' Crafty April 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

This is so cute! This week I’m using a bunch of recycled clothes to make my son some new things, too. I love the yellow stitching on the grey and white.

6. Stef April 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

I wish you lived next door so I could come raid your pattern drawer. You seriously have the best patterns – I love what you do with them. This top looks so comfy and cute on your little man.

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

yes! and you could teach me how to make a fancy pettiskirt so i don’t need to use ballerina tutus and help me throw fabulous parties! thanks. :)

7. Jamsby April 25, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Gah! I love it! I am one of those people who is scared of knits, but I’m going to conquer that this week. I have this pattern (I’ve made the pants) and love the inspiration. I am not going to play with contrasting top stitching, however, until I’ve built a little confidence!

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Yay, go for it! The thicker knits are much easier to sew with than the thinner jersey knit – and I know what you mean about the topstitching. It was a tough call for me too but I’m glad I did it!

8. Inder April 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I love this pattern! Especially in a striped knit. The yellow topstitching looks amazing with the grey stripes, and he’ll grow into those sleeves in a flash. Well done.

9. girllikethesea April 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I just adore striped sailboat tops. Gotta find a suitable top to harvest for making one sometime. Yours is so cute!

10. Laura April 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

This is such a lovely pattern and you version is fantastic. I’m sewing something grey with yellow lining and topstitching at the moment too.

11. Allie April 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Super cute. I want to make one just like this! But my topstitching won’t be as perfect as yours. :)

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Oh thanks! Just find something to line up with as your guide and you’ll be fine (I sewed along the edge of the facing on the inside). :)

12. you and mie April 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

I love the colors too. Those mint buttons are perfect! Gahhh, so between your top and Gail’s pants I was forced to go and by the pattern too. My addiction is official :[

• gail April 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

YES! We gotcha! Can’t wait to see your sailboat wardrobe!

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

MWAH HA HA HA! In our (Liesl’s) clutches at last! }:)

13. kim April 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Love it and love that smiley, trouble-seeking boy! :)

14. jessica April 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Look at you and your fancy yellow thread! Love it :) I’ve had this pattern since the last KCWC and still haven’t made the top or pants. It’s tragic really.

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks for the inspiration, dude!

15. Kathy April 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Love these! I think I need this pattern

16. Andrea April 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

I love the gray stripes on this shirt. Looks fabulous with the yellow thread!

17. gail April 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

So adorable! And I don’t see one crumb! :) That fabric makes for a great Sailboat top, and I’m a big fan of your wild and crazy top-stitching :) Nice work, yet again!!

• kristin April 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Hehe, thanks. No coconut zombie on this lad. :)

18. Lucinda April 26, 2012 at 6:00 am #

That combo with grey and white stripes, yellow topstitching and green buttons is just so perfect!!

19. Erin April 26, 2012 at 6:07 am #

oh, i love it! the yellow thread really makes it special :)

20. Vanessa@DesignsBySessa June 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

The sweatshirts are awesome as the sailboat top! I wouldn’t have thought of that! I loved this with the yellow stitching when I first saw it! Too funny that we grabbed the same sweatshirts! I didn’t even realize that! :)

• kristin June 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

i should have gotten another one of those sweatshirts…such great material. loved your shorts too!!