PR&P week 4: little red

27 Jan

oh wow, i am so grateful that i’m still alive and kickin’ in project run and play!  you guys are really the best.  i’m having a fun time thinking as creatively as possible and gaining experience in actually designing out of my own brain rather than following patterns.  this is all so new to me, and it’s changing how i will sew from here on out.  it was really uncomfortable and hard at first, but is becoming normal now and that’s pretty cool.  thank you for giving me the opportunity to continue on!

this week’s challenge is “Outerwear” and i was glad for my outerwear experience lately (here and here) but also stumped on what to make!  i sketched so many different designs for this one – it gave me the most trouble because i had lots of ideas, but none of them really sang to me.  i sketched capes, trench coats, jackets, but everything felt like something i’d seen before.  i tentatively decided on a simple raincoat that i’d make in a cool laminated cotton, and headed to bolt on my lunch break with a friend to look for fabric.  what i found actually surprised me – a bright red canvas that was actually very soft, and i had a lightning bolt inspiration – what about a red riding hood COAT?  hmmmm, i’ve never seen that before!  my friend suggested an oversized “guillermo del toro hood,” whatever that means, and i agreed that a giant pointy hood would be a definite must (thanks buddy!).

i looked for mushroom or some other woodsy japanese import fabric for lining but none was to be found, so i grabbed a great amy butler lark print instead.  on my drive back to work, i had a brainstorm – i’ll print my own fabric on linen!  back to bolt for this lovely natural cotton-linen blend, and then i started printing in a three-phase stamp process.  perfect.

the ticking stripe binding is what i had picked to join in this sewalong which i never got around to, but it got poached for this because i had another brainstorm to add 1/4″ flat piping around the whole coat and it was the perfect fabric!  it was a fun, easy way to add a whole lot of style and break up all that red.  i also added a little “e” label to the back – mine is machine-stitched, but i would have loved to embroider it like this beauty.

the coat pattern is actually based on the oliver + s sunday brunch jacket, which i altered heavily (those are the rules!).  i took the top bodice pieces and extended them out at a diagonal from the armpits to create the swing coat shape.  i shortened the sleeves and flared them out a bit, too.  those are the only pattern pieces i used!  i drew the hood pattern freehand and the canvas is so sturdy, it didn’t even need interfacing.  the sunday brunch pattern isn’t lined, but i lined mine except for the facings under the buttonholes, where i used the canvas for stability.  i piped the whole coat, sleeves, and pockets with the flat piping, and hand-stitched in the sleeve lining and opening that i used to turn the coat closed.  the only visible topstitching is on the pockets, so it has a very clean and finished look.

the dress that i made to go underneath is the leila and bed sweet little dress in a 3T, which i lengthened and slanted out at the side seams to create fullness.  i made it in the amy butler lark print that i’d originally pegged for the coat lining.

the apron is a simple muslin rectangle, gathered and sewn to a waistband that ties.  it has a little toadstool patch on it which i don’t think you can really see in my PR&P post, but it makes me happy and that’s what matters (secret: all toadstools remind me of super mario bros!!).

this coat is the first garment that i’ve sewn for project run & play that really evolved as i made it – the prior three looks were fully formed in my head before i even started sewing.  the piping was a later addition.  because of that, my sketch is super boring this week!

Em really does love this coat, though, and i’m so happy with it too!  it’s already getting a lot of use, which is fantastic!

alright – once again, it’s time to vote!  won’t you please skip on over to project run and play to vote HERE?  voting closes on sunday evening.  i thank you, the ducks thank you, and my little red riding hood girl thanks you!  :)

**Voting is now closed**

45 Responses to “PR&P week 4: little red”

1. cate January 27, 2012 at 3:20 am #

WOW! I adore this coat with all its amazing details! and I really enjoyed reading about it’s creative evolution. Congratulations on such a beautiful creation.

2. stitchandpurl January 27, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Awww.. this is such a beautiful coat. And a great process. But do tell about the three-phase stamping process. The little mushrooms on the lining are my favourite part!

• kristin January 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

i drew a mushroom onto sticky-back foam, then cut out the top and bottom into two separate stamps. i layered more sticky back foam to build up the stamp a little, and then added a layer of cardboard on top of that. i wanted stamps that were substantial enough so they wouldn’t bleed. i brushed fabric paint onto the stamp, stamped it on the linen, and repeated. first i did the stems, then the caps, then i stamped on the white dots with the back of a pencil eraser! i might do a quick little post about how i did the piping and the stamps a bit later…i took a few photos as i went. thanks, svenna!

• stitchandpurl January 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Thank you! That would be lovely – I’m already thinking of all the places I can stamp little mushrooms, I’m in love with them! :)

3. Rachel January 27, 2012 at 7:09 am #

I want to make this for my daughter ! a coat is so much more practical than a cape… it’s very well constructed & I’m impressed that you printed your own fabric !
    you got my vote :)

4. gail January 27, 2012 at 8:05 am #

i love the details on this coat, and it’s so beautifully constructed (which i can vouch for first hand!) – another stunning entry!

5. anna January 27, 2012 at 8:07 am #

it’s totally perfect and that so cool all the things you did to make it so unique, wow!! I’m loving the mushroom lining and the piping. You must stay up all night sewing these!

6. elizabeth January 27, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I can’t believe all the details…the buttons, stamped mushrooms and ticking……lovely, lovely and lovelier! So classic girly meets hip and charming! Amazing.

7. Jessica @ Running With Scissors January 27, 2012 at 9:08 am #

hand stamped toadstool lining! That is pretty much amazing. Love it!

8. danielle January 27, 2012 at 9:15 am #

So Darling as usual! All those little details are AMAZING. The lining, the tiny striped piping, the basket buttons. So so great. And your sewing is impeccable as usual too!

• kristin January 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Thanks, Danielle! So is yours.

9. Rachel January 27, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Oh, that is just so magical and precious! I love it! The little details are so sweet–I love the fabric on the inside, and the little mushroom. Great work! You should be so proud of it!

10. kim January 27, 2012 at 9:30 am #

I love this coat! Everything about it is perfect: the hood, the piping, the pockets, the toadstools. Glad you mentioned Super Mario Bros. because that’s totally what I was thinking. LOVE it!

11. kate January 27, 2012 at 9:40 am #

This is adorable! I just love little red riding hood inspired things. The hood is my favorite part.

12. Sopo January 27, 2012 at 9:58 am #

Question: could you please elaborate more on your gorgeous three-phase stamping process? Love the final result! Beautiful job on the whole look!

• kristin January 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Please see my response to Svenna up above. I’ll try to post some photos and a little more abut it later, too. Thank you!

13. Caitlin January 27, 2012 at 10:48 am #

LOVE this coat!! Very inspiring, now I want to go sew for my girls!

14. deborah k. January 27, 2012 at 11:00 am #

love it, love it, love it — can’t wait to vote. when I see your little one, her personality just pops off the page — even without seeing the competition, I can’t imagine voting for anybody else. You work? you said during your lunch hour — how is it possible to get so much done with two little ones?

• kristin January 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Thanks, Deborah!! Yes, my little gal has TONS of personality. She’s a fun little person to have around. I work 4 days a week. My kids are good nappers and I make the most of that time, and I usually stay up way too late at night – I just love to sew and it’s really important to me to do what I love, so I squeeze it in! ;)

15. Erin January 27, 2012 at 11:42 am #

my fave pr&p project yet! this is so beautiful… you must not be sleeping because this is some SERIOUS work you’re putting in each week! off to vote!

• kristin January 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

oh thank you, erin!

16. Trinh January 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

i voted for you! love the hood. what a sweet, simple and practical jacket. and all the little details! good luck this week:)

17. Amy January 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

This is absolutely exquisite! The whole design is so delightful. I love every aspect of it- from the red, to the hood, to the fabric for the piping, to the darling hand-stamped mushroom lining! Your bagging is impeccable… and your photos are good too! I think one of the most important things about doing coats is getting the lining inserted nice and neatly… and you took the most daring photo wide open for everyone to see… and it is really quite impressive crafts-womanship. I would buy this coat for my daughter… if I could afford it! It’s been delightful to see your work every week- and I think you’ve only gotten better! Congratulations on a job well done!

• kristin January 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

oh thank you so much, amy! sometimes i surprise myself with how things come together, and this is one of those times. :) i’m really happy with it. i really appreciate your comment.

18. carolyn January 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

I would never have guessed that it was a heavily altered version of that Oliver and S pattern – it looks so different! And gorgeous, of course! I love the flat piping (yes, piping is awesome!) and the pointy hood. Seriously cute!

19. Stef January 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

LOVE this! I really like the little gnome hood and I totally want to stamp little toadstools onto a whole lotta things! Awesome idea. Another excellent week!

20. Jamsby January 29, 2012 at 10:58 am #

This is so great – I’ve become a big fan of yours through this series. The stamped fabric is amazing! I love how that opens up a world of possibilities!

• kristin January 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Thank you so much, Jamsby!! Glad you found me. :)

21. lecsmiscellany January 30, 2012 at 3:50 am #

I just wanted to say I *love* everything you’ve been making. Best of luck!!!

22. amy dunn February 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Love this so much!!! That mushroom fabric is so awesome! I’m so obsessed with little red right now! :)

23. folkhavenkaren February 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Such an adorable little coat! And I LOVE thta you included a picture of the planning sketch. Oh, and the toad stool… <3 just swooning over that one. :-)

24. Angie Lawrence April 28, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Hi I love this style, do you sell your patterns?

• kristin April 29, 2013 at 12:24 am #

Not at the moment, but I’m working on it! Thanks! :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. PR&P week 5: japanese tea party « skirt as top - February 3, 2012

[...] the jacket pattern, i took the one i made for little red and shortened it, slimmed it a bit, and shortened the sleeves by a couple inches.  then i drew a [...]

2. friday fun finds | kojodesigns - February 3, 2012

[...] Oh my red coat goodness by Skirt as Top. [...]

3. one day i’m in, and the next day… « skirt as top - February 7, 2012

[...]  week 4: outerwear [...]

4. i…can…go…ANYWHERE! « skirt as top - February 12, 2012

[...] through that many heavy layers, but it powered through.  the lining is the ticking from Em’s RRH coat.  the pattern actually takes pretty large pieces of fabric (at least 1/2 yard cuts of each [...]

5. honey mustard dress « skirt as top - July 31, 2012

[...] dress gets chosen often by either Em or daddy for casual daily wear.  she wears the one i made for outerwear week all the [...]

6. Sew Ready to Play Super Mario Brothers with Skirt as Top – - September 26, 2012

[...] bricks.  i then added a little stamped mushroom left over from one of my project run & play creations!  i just played around with the scraps until i had the shapes i [...]

7. essex linen sidekick tote « skirt as top - January 9, 2013

[...] the pocket is bound with the seersucker i’ve used a few times so far, most notably on little red. [...]

8. vintage may: gingham swing jacket | skirt as top - May 20, 2013

[…] started as a size 4 oliver + s sunday brunch jacket, a long time ago.  first i modified it into red riding hood, then into her suzy coat, and now into this little gingham coat, so it’s to the point where […]

9. camp quilt for the husband | skirt as top - July 2, 2013

[…]  the fabrics are a navy linen (from JoAnn i think), red canvas from Bolt (most famously used on little red), natural linen (from fabric depot), with essex linen yarn dyed black center panel.  it’s a […]

10. PR&P season 3 reunion: nanook of the northwest | skirt as top - February 10, 2014

[…] the body, i used the same pattern i made for little red and my suzy coat – it’s an Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket yoke with shortened sleeves, but […]