kcwc fall 2011: day 4 & 5

14 Oct

well, i had a pretty good streak going for a while there.  so close to a garment a day!  i had these sailboat pants completed on wednesday night except for sewing on the buttons.  i even brought the buttons up to my room with the thought of sewing them on before going to sleep.  that did not happen.  so i finished it yesterday (and started my fifth item) and i’m feeling good.

the pattern is the oliver + s sailboat pants (again), this time made in a really fantastic honey-colored corduroy i got at fabric depot.  it’s heavy duty stuff.  check this out:

i promise they’re clean!  :)

the size is 12-18 months, but i cut 18-24 month length.  sailboats are meant to be a little short, but i didn’t want that for fall/winter.

i had fun with the details on this one, facing the front and side panels with joel dewberry woodgrain, adding a second row of topstitching to the hem of each pant leg, and using meg’s tutorial for a bunting tag.

i think they look pretty cute paired with his elbow patch sailboat top, too!  corduroy and elbow patches, how much more mini-professor can you get?

i have just ONE MORE item on my pre-planned list for KCWC – the dreaded tutu for Em’s halloween costume.  it’s actually in process and not that bad so far…famous last words, right?

19 Responses to “kcwc fall 2011: day 4 & 5”

1. Carolyn October 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

That picture of them on the bed is hilarious!
    What adorable pants!

2. Crystal October 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

The pants are awesome. Seriously those standing pants are freakin’ hilarious. That picture shoudl be on flickr. I love it, best picture I’ve seen all week.

• kristin October 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

haha, thanks! your wish is my command.

3. jessica October 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

I agree, that picture is priceless. And I love these pants and I’m even more inspired to get mine done sometime this week. Other things had shoved their way in front of my sailboats, but now they might be back to first in line.

4. gail October 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

ghost pants!! i love that surprise facing. they really are super fabulous pants, and i can say that with authority cause i saw them in person :)

5. anna October 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

so cool! the cord is fab and love the little details you added, that’s the fun part about making clothes, way cooler than store bought.

6. Vanessa@DesignsbySessa October 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

I MUST make these for my little boy! Saw you over in the flickr pool! They look so awesome!

7. Trinh October 14, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

it was so fun to finally meet you in person. those pants are adorable and so are your kids! i’ve had that pattern for over a year now. i just need to sit down and make a whole bunch at once. love the full length idea too.

8. Inder October 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

How did you know that the Dewberry woodgrain fabric is like, my favorite fabric EVER? I love it! Eek!

The pants and the top are adorable! I’m working on my first Sailboat top for the KCWC right now, actually … I found putting the buttonholes in to be a challenge, but otherwise, it turned out well. I am pairing this top with the O+s Sketchbook pants, though. :-)

9. Kimberly October 15, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

You have to be freaking out at the awesomeness of this post. I mean those photos, come on. Too perfect for words. And that honey-colored corduroy is something very special. I typically get corduroy from The Mill End and save Fabric Depot for cottons, but my oh my I am most definitely using them as a source now. Thanks!

10. lindsay October 16, 2011 at 8:58 am #

Such cute pants! I love the corduroy that you used- it is really fantastic.

11. Liesl October 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

Very cute! I love the color. Patagonia used to make “Stand Up Shorts” that did exactly this same thing–the fabric was very stiff at first, and they would stand up on their own until they were worn in. Mine lasted FOREVER.

Cheers,
    Liesl

• kristin October 16, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

thanks, liesl! i saw the fabric and believe I said “eek!” out loud. it’s great stuff. that’s so funny about the patagonia shorts – i’m sure my little guy will grow out of these long before they show any wear! :)

12. stitchandpurl October 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

So funny – the picture of the pants standing up is the best. Great work, so cute!

13. Zura October 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

This is by far the cutest baby pants ever!! And that pic of it on the bed – epic :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. halloweens past and preview « skirt as top - October 24, 2011

[...] ears, if you ask me!  you’ve already seen the bottoms of each costume (her tutu and his pants), and here are the very tops.  these are my most involved costumes yet, and i’m excited [...]

2. homemade halloween 2011: winnie the pooh « skirt as top - October 31, 2011

[...] already seen his sailboat pants. i actually made them expecting this to be his costume. the project i tried to get to but never [...]

3. i…can…go…ANYWHERE! « skirt as top - February 12, 2012

[...] i interfaced, the pockets are lined with the stand-up-on-its-own mustard corduroy from O’s sailboat pants, and the outer pocket is the olive twill from Em’s kimono jacket.  i used a heavier needle [...]

4. KCWC & SF « skirt as top - April 19, 2012