kcwc fall 2011: day 3

12 Oct

Em has worn her polka dot pierrot top just about as many times as she possibly could in the week and a half since i made it (between trips through the wash).  it has turned out to be a fantastic little compromise item for a dress-loving girlie and her weather-conscious mama, because it’s pretty much the only thing she’ll wear pants with.  so i made her another one.

the fabric is a rose-colored kaffe fasset shot cotton (forgot to check for the exact color) that i picked up at bolt when i got the buttons for her hopscotch skirt.  can’t go there without buying fabric!  the neckline is bound with kona cotton from her quilt binding that matched perfectly.  i cut it on the bias again – wow, shot cotton almost acts like a jersey knit when it’s bias cut – very stretchy!

the color is another compromise – she still thinks it’s PINK, but to me it’s a little more sophisticated-feeling and matches her season.  i had been curious to see what a pierrot looked like without the ruffle, too, and i like it!  i do think this one needs a bit more embellishment, though, hence the H&M flower clip.

SHE…

LOOOOVES….

IT.

she spent the whole time outside smiling and sprinting back and forth along the sidewalk while her brother laughed at her and i tried to capture a few non-blurry photos before dinner.  or maybe she was just excited because it wasn’t raining…?

the pattern is still in-the-works by rae (i was a pattern tester), so watch for it!  it’s a good one.

UPDATE: the pierrot pattern is now available!  get it here.  :)

21 Responses to “kcwc fall 2011: day 3”

1. gail October 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

gorgeous, of course! what a perfect fall color. and the flower is a brilliant alternative to the ruffle. nice work!!

2. Trinh October 12, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

love the color! and i actually like the plain neckline. the flower really does jazz it up though.

3. cate October 13, 2011 at 2:04 am #

This is lovely and I love the colour in combination with her mustard legs. It’s fun, stylish and little girly all in one!

4. erin October 13, 2011 at 3:42 am #

it’s super cute! i can see why she loves it so much.

5. Crystal October 13, 2011 at 3:48 am #

I am in love with this. I noticed it was bias cut and I love how it looks. May have to add this to my pattern want list now.

6. Maryam Y. October 13, 2011 at 7:53 am #

This is lovely. Seeing this makes me want to buy the pattern and make it without the ruffle when it comes out.

7. anna October 13, 2011 at 8:13 am #

oh how i love shot cotton!!! this top is so beautiful! I can totally see why she loves it. I may just have to copy it!! :)

8. trula October 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

Very good description – dress loving girlie and weather conscious mom. That could be us, too.

9. Rosalind October 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Oh very sweet, love the colour too

10. Tiphaine October 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I knew I have seen that somewhere :-) ….. I can’t wait for the pattern. I love your interpretation of it, so romantic….

11. Kimberly October 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

I adore that color combo together, very Heather Ross roses. Excellent tip about the shot cotton acting like knit when cut on the bias as well.

12. kristin October 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

thank you all!

13. elizabeth lehman October 14, 2011 at 9:08 am #

i want to make it!!! lovely!

14. Erin October 25, 2011 at 6:45 am #

Kristin,
    I just have to tell you that this outfit is so cute. The combination of the plum and mustard is great and the top is so cute. I have been crushing on this top at Rae’s for a while and after seeing your take on the pattern I went out and purchased it! I started cutting last night and hopefully with have it done before the end of the week. One question for you, where did you get the great leggings? I have been on a hunt everywhere to find some that color and can’t seem to get my hands on them.
    Thanks,
    Erin

• kristin October 25, 2011 at 10:24 am #

Thanks, Erin!! I’d love to see what you make – be sure to throw it into the pierrot flickr pool! :) I got the leggings on the clearance rack at Target a year ago. Sorry. You could try to make your own with MADE’s ruched legging tutorial and a mustard-colored t-shirt, though…?

• Erin October 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Kristin,
        Thanks so much for letting me know, I will make sure to add it to the flickr pool when I am finished up. I will be on the search this weekend for a mustard colored t-shirt so I can try it out or might check out fabric.com to see if they have some similar knit fabric that will work. Keep up the great work, you are so inspiring.
        Thanks,
        Erin

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pierrot Testing - October 19, 2011

[…] from skirt as top made this one for KCWC last week — these colors are really […]

2. teeny tiny mini pierrot « skirt as top - November 3, 2011

[…] facing).  i wanted Em to show how tiny this dress was in comparison to her wearing one of her two 3T pierrot tops, but instead she insisted on wearing her “zebra dress.”  she wanted […]

3. Pierrot! « hungie gungie - November 7, 2011

[…] will definitely be making some more of these soon.  I aboslutely love this version without the ruffle, this one (from the same awesome blog Skirt As Top), and this […]

4. KCWC & SF « skirt as top - April 19, 2012

[…] skirt | polka dot PJs | rosy pierrot | sailboat cords | angelina […]

5. KCWC spring 2012: day 3:: elephant charlie dress « skirt as top - April 27, 2012

[…] and exaggerated shapes that i love, and Em still gets so much use out of her pierrot tops (one and two) that i could just keep making those and be set.  but i get a total kick out of this dresshiki and […]