kcwc fall 2011: day 1

10 Oct

this is what a little preparation + day off of work + both kids taking a 3 hour afternoon nap gives me…a great start to elsie marley’s fall kids clothes week challenge!  i learned something after participating in my first KCWC this spring – i do not want to be “wasting time” tracing and cutting patterns during the week.  i spent last week away from the sewing machine, but not away from my scissors.  i have everything cut and ready to sew, and in a couple instances (like the pleated pockets on this skirt) i got a couple of the finicky non-sewing steps out of the way so i wouldn’t get hung up.

the pattern is the oliver + s hopscotch skirt, made in a 3T.  the fabric is pencil tortoises from aneela hooey’s little apples.  i somehow missed her adorable sherbet pips line when it came out and am still kicking myself, but i jumped on this one!  so perfect for fall.  we’re eating a LOT of apples and have plenty of gray skies these days, so it couldn’t be more appropriate.  the buttons have little hearts drawn on them, which mimic the sketch-like design of the fabric.  kind of in love with those buttons.  they’re from bolt.

i finished the skirt JUST as i heard O waking up from his nap, and Em woke up a short time later to model for me before daddy got home.  talk about good timing.

i got even more fired up yesterday and cut out two more patterns (which brings me up to five).  my extra motivation boost came from a comment from jessica, who’s attempting to sew six items this week!  holy smokes!  we’ll see what happens on my end, but just in case i’m a speed sewing maniac, i’m prepared.

well…back to it!

18 Responses to “kcwc fall 2011: day 1”

1. gail October 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

OHHHHH, it’s so cute! great fabric, great buttons, great start to KCWC!!!!!! p.s. i cut out another pattern tonight, too!

2. Kimberly October 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

Such adorable fabric. I keep coming across the Hopscotch skirt and I’m just smitten and thinking about getting the pattern, even though I have a son. I came across your blog via…let’s see…first the KCWC Flickr Group and this darling paper airplane outfit, then to Sparkle Power, then here. So stoked to see the buttons are from Bolt; they’re a favorite shop of mine. I’m also a rare Portland native. :) Happy Sewing to you!

3. jessica October 11, 2011 at 5:34 am #

I just saw this in the pool and didn’t even realize it was you, ha! Those red buttons are perfect with little apples. I wish I had bought something from that line for this week… I guess it’s not too late :) I do not know if I’ll make my six, but I will try!

4. anna October 11, 2011 at 8:11 am #

oh gosh, she looks so adorable. love your pictures as always

• kristin October 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

aw thanks – the lighting these days is hard to come by but i caught it. :)

5. Sophie October 11, 2011 at 8:12 am #

totally marvelous!

6. Trinh October 11, 2011 at 9:45 am #

you know how to add just the tight detail to make a project not only complete and perfect, but also memorable and unique. in this case it has to be the buttons.

• kristin October 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

oh thank you trinh, that’s so nice of you to say! :)

7. deborah k. October 11, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

as cute as can be. I love your web site, your work is amazing and those little ones are the cutest models ever. I’m working up to trying some garments for the little girls in my life. thanks for writing and sharing. deborah

8. Rachel October 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

super sweet !

9. kristin October 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

thanks everybody!!

10. Dacia October 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

oh that skirt is so so cute! i love the red buttons!

11. Rosalind October 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Oh that is very cute, the detail on the pockets are fabulous… is it elastic waist?

• kristin October 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

thanks! the back is elastic but the front isn’t. the buttons aren’t really necessary, but they sure are cute! :)

12. Vanessa@DesignsbySessa October 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I must have missed this in the flickr pool! It’s awesome!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. i’ve been KNITerviewed! « skirt as top - January 17, 2012

[…] decided to make Em an oliver + s hopscotch dress (i first made the hopscotch skirt here).  it’s refashioned out of a men’s t-shirt and promotional energy drink tank top, with […]

2. KCWC & SF « skirt as top - April 19, 2012

[…] hopscotch skirt | polka dot PJs | rosy pierrot | sailboat cords | angelina tutu […]

3. confession sunday: the rejects « skirt as top - August 26, 2012

[…] Little Apples Hopscotch Skirt – i really loved this pattern and how the skirt turned out, but recently she decided she […]