a gender-neutral baby gift

25 Sep

i get it, some people like a delivery surprise.  i couldn’t wait that long to find out what i was having with either of my pregnancies, but i see how the “it’s a boy!” or “it’s a girl!” moment could be pretty special after labor and delivery.  my cousin therese, having her first baby next month, hasn’t found out what she is having.  she had a baby shower this weekend, and the “not finding out” element definitely presented a challenge for gift-giving!  i’m not a person that’s TOO hung up on gender roles, either, but it sure makes it easier to know a little more about who you’re sewing for, you know?  anyway, it’s sometimes just as fun to have restrictions.  i kind of like working that way.  gotta be more creative.

i decided to make another two projects from my now well-used and dog-eared copy of “little things to sew” by liesl gibson – the cozy winter hood (with ears!) and mittens.  i made them in an extra-small, but they fit O perfectly at 9.5 months, so i think therese & chris’ baby might get more use out of them next winter instead of this one.  both the hat and mittens are made in a supersoft white microfleece and michael miller celery ta dot flannel.

i couldn’t help myself and also appliquéd a 0-3 month onesie with little clouds.  i love the white-and- natural linen together.  these photos were taken in O’s room (which i need to finish up and do a room tour for).  isn’t the wall decal perfect for a baby’s room?  it’s by shanna murray.  i’m in love with it, and my little guy is definitely growing strong so far!

therese seemed to like the gift at the shower, and i can see myself making another of these hoods for O for the wintertime.  it came together quickly and lives up to its name – COZY!  the mittens are great too, they stayed on O’s hands despite crawling around.

happy laboring, therese!  i can’t wait to meet your little one!

16 Responses to “a gender-neutral baby gift”

1. gail September 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

it all came out so cute! i love that cloud onesie. and o’s front teeth :)

2. mama-pan | mary frances September 26, 2011 at 6:44 am #

these are so lovely. is it wrong to want an ear-ed cap like that for myself?

3. anna September 26, 2011 at 7:07 am #

love it so much, the linen with white is perfect and your pics are just stunning!

4. Carolyn September 26, 2011 at 11:42 am #

What an adorable gift set! They are going to love it!

5. prttynpnk September 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Oh, the cuteness has beaten me almost senseless! I love them- great job!

6. Trinh September 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

what a great gift set! seriously adorable. love the cloud applique. i’m really amazed that you can get so much done with a job and 2 kids.

• kristin September 28, 2011 at 10:53 am #

housework slides in a major way and i go to bed way too late almost every night because sewing clears my head and i just love to do it. :)

7. jessica September 27, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

I LOVE it Kristin! Can’t wait to make this hat for both of mine!

8. kristin September 28, 2011 at 10:49 am #

thanks everybody!

9. Holly September 30, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Oh dear, that set is so incredibly sweet! I have 3 pregnant friends and I think each new baby might need a hat with ears :) So nice to find your lovely blog via kojo. Have a beautiful weekend.

10. Merja September 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Adorable! I love all of them. The hat with it’s ears is so nice!

11. Kristi October 7, 2011 at 6:37 am #

Coming over from KoJo. This is such an adorable baby set. I love it and will be pinning it as a future project. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. kcwc fall 2011: day 2 « skirt as top - October 11, 2011

[...] polka dots are michael miller ta dot flannel (again), and the bindings are my happy garden for cloud9 fabrics.  i usually exercise more restraint on [...]

2. teeny tiny mini pierrot « skirt as top - November 3, 2011

[...] cousin therese, who didn’t find out what she was having ahead of time (prompting me to make this gender neutral baby shower gift), gave birth to a beautiful baby girl a couple weeks ago.  baby E [...]

3. spider mittens | skirt as top - December 10, 2013

[…] a gift idea inspiration post from the book for Oliver + S!  silly me.  i’d actually sewn these once before but it was a couple years ago – they come together so quickly!  the part that took the […]

4. Ideas For Sewing A Baby GIft - February 14, 2014

[…] Gender-neutral baby layettes are perfect option for any shower, especially for those where you don’t know if upcoming baby is boy or girl. This project is easy to make and you can personalize it by creating little, sweet decorations for them! […]