pinwheel sailboat pants

8 Aug

little guy is growing out of his pants again!  time to make him some.  we went to the zoo with gail on friday, and her little cutie, lila, was wearing a pair of chambray oliver + s sailboat pants (we know each other only through a longtime mutual sewing admiration on flickr, so it’s fun to dress our kids in handmades when we see each other).  gail told me these pants were a easy sew and they looked super cute.  sooooo i went ahead and started these at 9pm on saturday night for O to wear to his cousin’s baptism on sunday morning.  who needs sleep when you can sew!

the pattern came together really nicely, of course.  i made the 6-12 month size.  i had a little trouble figuring out a good boy fabric for them, but ended up raiding my husband’s closet and found this pair of gray j.crew chinos he never wore because they had spots on them.  i cut the pattern out of just one leg!  they’re a pretty heavy twill, but soft to the touch.

i hunted through my scraps for some stripey material to mimic these awesome sailboats but didn’t have enough, so i decided to cut into my recently-acquired sarah jane studios children at play pinwheel fabric for the facings. i’m so glad i did – i love it so much!  harvesting the buttons from my husband’s now-mangled pants completed the look.

this was a really fun sew, even though i was sewing late and definitely should have been in bed.  the details are just really nice, and i love them on him.

oh yeah, he can stand up holding onto things now.  he barely stays still for a moment!  the heavy material should be durable for crawling, too.  it’s gonna have to be, because he’s on the move.

13 Responses to “pinwheel sailboat pants”

1. stitchandpurl August 8, 2011 at 6:31 am #

“who needs sleep when you can sew!”
    Indeed! It was definitely worth the lost sleep, those are super cute!

2. gail August 8, 2011 at 8:19 am #

OHHH, those are fabulous!!! i love the twill and the pinwheels – great mix of sophisticated and playful! weren’t they so simple? if you’re going to start a project at 9pm, this is a good one :)

• kristin August 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

thanks! YES, they were great. definitely making more of these in the future (and the top? and the skirt?). thanks for the inspiration!!

3. Trinh August 8, 2011 at 9:08 am #

super adorable!

4. Julie August 8, 2011 at 10:15 am #

So cute! I especially love the pinwheel detail.

5. GINA August 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

These are absolutely adorable!!! Makes me wish my little man was small again.

6. Cirque Du Bebe August 9, 2011 at 3:32 am #

oh my god! Adorbs! These are so so so great, love the colour and your idea of contrasting fabric and the buttons…love it all!! I’ll be pinning these right away…

• kristin August 10, 2011 at 9:35 am #

thanks so much! i was just recently looking back at your blog and you’ve made some great sailboats in the past! fun how just a little contrast or piping can elevate a pretty simple design. and thanks for the pin! ;)

7. Inder August 9, 2011 at 10:56 am #

Oooh. I love these. That pattern is so versatile. I need to make another pair for my little boy, maybe I’ll use some contrasting fabric on the next one! :-)

8. Kimberly October 10, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

I have been lusting after that pinwheel fabric (do you know that it comes in flannel also!?!) that I spotted at Fabric Depot for over a month now. I’m so scared they’re sold out, but now I’m motivated to go back and get some. Such an awesome combo.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Living life on purpose & other inspiration « Sarah Jane Studios Blog - August 18, 2011

[...] {Skirt as Top} [...]

2. kcwc fall 2011: day 4 & 5 « skirt as top - October 14, 2011

[...] pattern is the oliver + s sailboat pants (again), this time made in a really fantastic honey-colored corduroy i got at fabric depot.  it’s [...]

3. Who wears the pants in the house? | MADE - February 26, 2013

[...] pjs (genius!) by Elsie Marley • Ferris Bueller pants by A Little Gray BOTTOM: Sailboat Shorts by Skirt as Top • Skinny Cords by Craft Storming More Oon love: Pants for an older boy! by Untrendy Life. And [...]