flutter sleeve sorbetto

4 Aug

YOU GUYS!  i made my first top!  in my 2 years of sewing, this is the first wearable garment i’ve made for myself!  ta da!

oh man it’s sooo awkward being in front of the camera.  i am no model.  it feels so weird!

the pattern is the sorbetto top, a free download by colette patterns.  i had seen many others have success with it, so i figured it’d be a good first item to try (simple, no zippers to insert).  problem was, i don’t really wear sleveless tops that aren’t tank tops.  dunno why, i just don’t.  then i saw that the always inspiring mena of the sew weekly added sleeves to her sorbetto, and a lightbulb went off!  and THEN she offered afree sleeve pattern!  that was the final push i needed.

something went wrong when i printed her initial sleeve pattern, and i saw it was going to be too small to fit the armhole.  i decided to make it a flutter sleeve instead, because i love flutter sleeves.  this is where i discovered the beauty of TRYING ON AN IN-PROGRESS GARMENT!  this may be obvious to others, but i normally sew for my children who are always sleeping while i’m sewing.  there is very little in-progress fitting.  but when the sleeve wasn’t working, i could just remove it and try again!  i added a little pleat at the top, and narrowed it until it looked how i wanted.  i finished the underarm area with bias tape.  it’s a little wonky, but wearable.

the other “issue” i encountered was with the sizing.  i’m still nursing O, and though i’ve lost the baby weight, my body shape isn’t quite back to normal yet.  so…my…uh…chest and waist measurements led me to a certain size (much larger than i normally wear).  i sewed that size.  it was huge on me.  so i started taking in the side seams 1/4″ by 1/4″ until it was fitted to my satisfaction.  out of curiosity, i set the pattern against my finished size, and it was 4 sizes smaller than i started!  sheesh!  i also lengthened it by 4″ or so.

the fabric is a free spirit voile that i’ve had in my stash for a while.  i love the fabric and was nervous cutting it because i expected to have a complete failure on my hands, but i’m so glad i used it!  i love wearing blue.  and check this out!  i wore it to work already!  it was under a jacket, but no one said a word about it all day.  i think that’s a good sign?  :)

so yeah, i’m definitely hooked on making more clothes for myself, but i reeeeeally need to work on my modeling skills if this is going to become a regular thing!

(thanks to B for taking my photos – you did a great job, hon…the awkwardness is not you, it’s me!)

21 Responses to “flutter sleeve sorbetto”

1. anna August 4, 2011 at 9:36 am #

awesome! love that you made it work. it looks great on you. hoping to try out the pattern one of these days!

• kristin August 5, 2011 at 7:39 am #

oh thank you so much, anna! many tim gunn moments during this one. :)

2. gail August 4, 2011 at 10:44 am #

super impressed! AND inspired to make something for myself! the color is gorgeous, and it really does look great on you. you’re a pretty darn cute model, too! :)

3. jessica August 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

I am completely and totally impressed. I’ve been seeing this top everywhere, but seeing yours is the first time I’ve wanted to try it for me. It looks way better lengthened and with sleeves. Yay you!

• kristin August 5, 2011 at 7:40 am #

thanks! that was my big thing too…i needed to adapt it to wear it, but i don’t have much experience with that on women’s clothes. it was very forgiving, though, you should try!

4. Amy Caroline August 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

That is beautiful! I want one!!

• kristin August 5, 2011 at 7:41 am #

you should make one! :)

5. Brittany August 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

Wow! You are amazing! The top looks great and I LOVE the color of the fabric…so summery!

• kristin August 5, 2011 at 7:42 am #

thanks, britt! and yay for your first comment! woo!

6. Brittany August 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Your top looks great! I was really inspired by Sew Weekly too and so I made a Sorbetto yesterday! I blogged about it here if you would like to see pictures of mine. I love seeing how everyone has customized this pattern. So inspiring! http://mengalings.blogspot.com/2011/08/sewing-for-me-date-night-sorbetto-shirt.html

• kristin August 7, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

Yours is so nice! I love how adaptable the pattern is – your sleeves look great. And hooray for date nights!

7. Jo August 8, 2011 at 3:23 am #

The top looks great on you and I think your modelling skills are not that bad either! Enjoy your top and I’m curious to see what will follow. Greetings from the Netherlands, Jo

• kristin August 10, 2011 at 9:55 am #

ha, thanks! it’s pretty amazing that i have people reading my blog from abroad. thanks for visiting, jo!

8. Liz August 8, 2011 at 9:47 am #

adorable! i saw this on flickr and loved it. flutter sleeves are the best.

9. Sascha August 9, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Yeah the trying on mid construction is kind of foreign to me also. Since I’m always sewing while the kids are asleep it never occurs to me to try things on them midway through. My next project “the dress” I’m actually going to make my very first muslin. Oh I hate using sewing time on things that won’t see the light of day.

• kristin August 10, 2011 at 9:57 am #

making a muslin is a very good idea. that’s the “right” way to do it, for sure! i would definitely do that if i were making something more involved, like a fancy dress from a vintage pattern. can’t wait to see how yours turns out, good luck!

10. replicatethendeviate April 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Yours is one of the prettiest I’ve seen!! :) I like your sleeves and the color and that you sewed it for yourself. :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. sleeveless in seattle « skirt as top - August 17, 2011

[...] on the remaining summer days, plus with a sweater and tights as the weather cools off.  as with my sorbetto top, i picked a too big of size and had to do a lot of adjusting to get the fit i wanted.  when i was [...]

2. elsie marley » Blog Archive » guest post: elbow patches tutorial - October 5, 2011

[...] Kristin's blog, skirt as top,  but was hooked right away. I think I found it first because of this beautiful top she made for herself. Turns out she makes cute kids clothes like crazy! I'm happy to have her here [...]

3. my 2011 sewing recap « skirt as top - January 2, 2012

[...] had lots of firsts this year – first quilt, first clothes for me (a shirt, a dress, and a never-blogged, never-worn skirt – hey, it happens!), first guest posts (bibs [...]